Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 47394 Mountain Rider Build 1 year 10 months ago #71310

The Mountaineer is effectively the first Bruiser re-release.  The original 58048 Toyota 4x4 Pickup Bruiser came out in 1985.  It was the only Tamiya RC to use a huge 750 sized motor with a pre-built 3-speed transmission, was intended for the giant square 6V Ni-Cd battery, and used a 3-speed mechanical speed controller.  The 58111 Mountaineer came out in 1992 and was essentially the same truck.  It was red instead of blue and used a roll bar instead of a sleeper, but otherwise it was the same body and the same chassis.  I may be mistaken, but it appears the only technical change was to switch to a standard 7.2V Ni-Cd stick pack.

When the Bruiser was re-released as 58519 in 2012, it included a few changes.  Most importantly, the original 3-speed transmission was completely redesigned and was now powered by a standard silver can 540 motor through an electronic speed controller.  The 84386 Mountain Rider followed 2 years later in 2014 and was exactly the same truck apart from the changes to the body details mentioned earlier.  I have no idea why Tamiya changed the name to "Mountain Rider", and also no idea why they made this model a limited edition.  The consequence of this limited release is that I missed out on it.  Luckily for me, Tamiya released it again in 2019, this time as set 47394 (also limited edition) with no changes.  That's the version I have.

I resisted buying this model for a long time based on the rationale that I already had the Bruiser (which was very expensive), and this is just the same thing in another color.  It was also out of production and hard to buy which made the decision easier to enforce.  But that kind of practical thinking has no place in this hobby.  When the model became available again in 2019 I had to review my thought process and I realized that my Bruiser had been so modified from stock that it was barely a Bruiser anymore.  I put a brushless motor in it, changed all the bumpers to steel, and added aluminum beadlock wheels.  All of this served to double the price and the weight.  So, I thought, why not get a Mountain Rider and keep it completely stock?  That way I can have one which represents the model as Tamiya intended it, and another to represent my improvements (or the ways in which I ruined it).  This was so sensible I couldn't argue with myself about it so I bought one.

Like the Bruiser, this is not really a rock crawler.  It does fine in grass or on the trails, but it does not have the traction or gearing for serious off roading.  That's just as well because I don't want to destroy it.  If anyone was asking me to recommend one or the other (Bruiser versus Mountain Rider), I have no real basis on which to prefer either.  Pick the one that you like the look of.  Or get both.  That's what we smart people do.

I've built the Bruiser previously and documented it in excruciating detail.  This one is identical so I've only written about the differences and a few highlights here.  Please see my Bruiser topic for full build details. 

The Mountain Rider box art is very similar to that of the Bruiser but seems to be shown from a very slightly different angle.  There are no blister packs inside the box, but everything is still nicely presented and separated.  The inner box at the lower left has all the hardware, and the steel frame can be seen at the lower right.

I couldn't resist a few beauty shots of the lovely 3-speed transmission.  Full details of the guts and operation of this transmission can be found on my Bruiser page.

On the left you can see the completed steel frame with the leaf sprung solid axles attached.  For this build, I chose to lock both the front and rear differentials.  On the right I've added the motor and transmission assembly.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by blakbird.

Blakbird's 47394 Mountain Rider Build 1 year 10 months ago #71311

It takes a long time to paint a model like this.  Here is the front grille and bumper.  I used semi-gloss black for the grille and mica red as the main truck color.
After painting the whole thing in mica red, I masked off the areas to be painted black.  I wanted the window gaskets to be flat black, and I took the opportunity to paint the whole inside of the shell black as well.  I didn't want to be able to see white through the windows.  Note that I also masked the area for the Hilux emblem just above and behind the wheel well.  This will make the metal transfer stand out.  I also decided to add a little contrast to the model by painting the bed flat black instead of matching the body.  I think this worked out really well.  I also painted the underside of the bed black so it will be dark under the wheel wells.

Here I've removed the masking and added more details.  You can see the black around the windows and the silver rain gutter and door handles.  After applying the stickers, I put a few layers of clear over the top.  On the right I've added the wipers, the sliders, and the metal transfer logo completing the cab.  You can also see the interior through the window.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Blakbird's 47394 Mountain Rider Build 1 year 10 months ago #71313

This thing looks just as good as I was hoping.  Sure, the white tube bumpers look a bit plasticy (and they are), but this is truck is built completely stock and looks like it is supposed to look.  The black bed liner is my one deviation which I feel is justified.  I should probably put lights and a driver in it sooner or later.

This picture compares the Bruiser and Mountain Rider re-releases.  I've changed the wheels, bumpers, and livery on the Bruiser which makes them more different than they would otherwise be.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Manotas, stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Blakbird's 47394 Mountain Rider Build 1 year 10 months ago #71318

Rooohhhh very nice I love this combo

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.