Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8881

Don't get it - why buy a crawler & stick brushless in it? Thought the idea of crawling was slow scaling of difficult obstacles & brushless is going faster than the brain can think? Or is this for smoother power delivery?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8882

Tamiya motor plate hop up:

And I got a couple of sets of these:

More to follow...

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8883

Don't get it - why buy a crawler & stick brushless in it? Thought the idea of crawling was slow scaling of difficult obstacles & brushless is going faster than the brain can think? Or is this for smoother power delivery?

No, this brushless is the same as a Johnson silver can. 21.5 turn, is the same speed as the Johnson, about 19000 rpm, but the power delivery is so smooth. This brushless is sensored, so the motor and ESC perform so much better... Not to mention the difference in power...

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8884

Aha, NOW I get it! What are the CR's geared like? I know they've got a planetary reduction, but how low-geared is it? Theory says that if the gearing's right for what you're using it for, the average speed will be matched to motor rpm at half throttle, kinda where you'd expect it to be running smoothly anyway. Torque is higher with the low gearing too. It's the main reason I stuffed the 3-speed 'box in my TXT - it'll pull breeze-blocks around the garden now!

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8885

nice alu hexes, but dont you have the original CR rims?
(without the hexmount)

does anybody know if brushless motors are waterproof?

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8886

It has a fair wheel speed for a crawler. I would say it is about the same speed as the 3 spd gearbox in 2nd gear. I have to run 70% drag brake, because without it, the truck runs away. The planetary gearbox is smooth and quite, but doesn't seem to lock on power off. Hence why I need the drag brake.

But all that said, she still has the power to pull uphill like a freight train...

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8887

nice alu hexes, but dont you have the original CR rims?
(without the hexmount)

does anybody know if brushless motors are waterproof?

I'm not following your question about the CR rims. Brushless are not all waterproof.

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8889

Oops :silly: after a closer look I noticed that there are indeed hexes in my CR rims, but the guy I bought the car from glued the hexes into the rims so it looked like you just fit the rims on to the axlepins.
The following user(s) Liked this: Louisbaby

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8890

I'd say you'd need lower gearing or a worm drive to get the gearbox locked with no throttle. I'd also say that a brushless motor would make it worse as I don't think they have the "cogging" effect that a brushed motor has, to help the braking effect.
Hehe, in fact, what you really want is a brushed motor & a vintage Tamiya variable resistor speed control - they short the motor at zero throttle (To act as a brake) & work well in that respect! Not at all sure about modern electronic setups - sure they're cool & have lots of nearly useful features, but they can be counterproductive with the "Needing a high power version" (More expensive) if you want to use a hotter motor. The "Shutting down with low voltage" & "Delay before reverse" bits irritate me immensely (No more wheelies....) as do the auto-setup versions that can't get the hang of which way's forward on the stick. Only thing they've got going for them is the stepless power delivery allowing smooth slow driving, & a built-in BEC for the Rx (Or not, as Jonny's discovered)

Re: CR-01 FJ40 with hop-ups 12 years 1 week ago #8892

Well they do build Crawler ESC nowadays with decent working dragbrake ;)

I realy like my CR, it runs smooth and silent even if it doesnt looks scale, it is like with the wild Willy loads of fun but no real car. (i've got an SCX too but the gearbox is just loud compared to the CR)

Last edit: by waterbok.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.