Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47323

Now that rere wheels are cheap has anyone used a set for a wild willy?
(guessing with 1.7 off road tires)

Thanks
Jeff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47330

I haven't seen anyone put them on but for a while this guy was selling re-re tyres for the M38 :)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47334

I have a set already and I think they are very nice. except for the size of the side wall markings they look perfect.
but i have a partial chassis was thinking of trying to do something different with.

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47338

Hey guys,
I have a bought an extra set of those rims too and yes they are still the same as the original and will fit. The have just moulded a new adaptor piece to add to the front rims for the new chassis, the original bearing retainer is still on the tree. you will just need the bearings ( skateboard) and the 2mm screws for the cover. :)

As for those repro tires, based on what another member said here I recently ordered a set to try and should see them any day. If you want to wait a bit I will check the fit of the tire and report back before you commit to them. Just let me know. :y:

Come to think of it that would be a very cool look for a Wild Willy......hmmmm.....thanks B)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Re:Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47344

You could remodel the chassis into a wheeler. The rere wheels will fit. As mentioned you will need some kingsize bearings.

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47347

well, the reason I started looking at this was bought what i thought was a tired lwb willy on ebay with wheeler wheels and really
ugly tractor sort of tires. As i tore it down i saw it had the wheeler front body post mount. The body will go on a almost finished chassis
i'm still working on. Might be fun to try and build a wheeler back out of it.

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47350

OK guys,
Well on a quick look see, yes of course the re-re rims will fit the wild willy axles, the real problem I see is the outer sizes. The wild willy rim is 1.797 on the inner diameter and 1.600 wide on the outside faces. The wheeler rim is 1.726 in diameter and the rears are 1.530 wide and the fronts are 1.333 wide. So there is a problem right away... the front rubber is going to be too wide for the rim and both are going to be .071 too big in diameter, hmmmmm
However the major hurdle I can see is the wild willy wheels are the 3 piece clamping design and the wheeler rims are just one piece so the willy style tires have a different mounting lip as well and are not really sized to fit tightly over the rim to retain them like the wheeler tires are.
So that's what I see right now. I did my testing with a fairly ratty looking wild willy tire that was in my collection, it is not one of the best but it was the only one that was not really on a rim ( yes a bit lazy ), the wheeler wheels were new in the bag re-re ones .

But.... I don't think with the talent I have seen here that these problems are insurmountable, perhaps 2 sets of rears could be utilized and some sort of tire insert?? I don't know I am just throwing it out there. There really aren't to many options for wild willy wheels, they are fairly unique so........

Old Willy out....B)
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47352

I'm not explaining myself well, let me try and show you.
This is what I bought

and this is what i was thinking of
Attachments:

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47361

Oh, I see...sort of...... you already have all the parts and yep those tires that were on it don't look great but at the time it was probably the builders best option...not much available for old willys. The body looks great! I also like the look of the crawler tire on the wheeler rim, how do they fit on the front rims?

So do you want bigger than the stock wheeler tires?

How about just getting a new wheeler body kit and re-re tires for the chassis, or send the chassis to me and I will build something out of it :whistle: :whistle:

Last edit: by oldwilly.

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47365

well...
right now the body's on a different willy
and the chassis was parted out to finish 3 other chassis
in the pile. But now i have a reason to look for more willy's :whistle:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.