Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47379

The wheel/tyre combination looks fine (better than I expected TBH) - but I would check that the outside rolling circumference is close to that of a stock Wild Willy wheel & tyre. There are no pinion options for the chassis, so no gearing options - meaning the range of tyre size & motor winds that will work without problems is very small.

I've used other tyres on a Willy - Scorcher rears are smaller but fit (with patience), but give it a bit of a "Hi Lift" look & reduce the gearing so it goes a bit slower.

Lunchbox type tyres fit (if you're willy to destroy a set of lunchbox rims to use as spacers - but makes the gearing way too tall, it tended to go straight up on the back wheels with any amount of throttle, and the stock 27T silvercan got so hot it melted the heatshrink right off :S

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47382

Well actually there is a gearing option as the wheeler has a bigger pinion to compensate the smaller wheels. But that includes the gearbox plate. Its not much use if you go for bigger tires.

Re:Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47392

Well, there you go I learned something new ( again) and that's one of the reasons I come here. :)

I was always assuming the chassis, gears etc. for the wheeler was the same but of course what you are stating makes complete sense. it really wouldn't have much top speed otherwise. Thanks man! :y:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Re:Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47393

Left mk1 M38
Middle mk2 M38
Right Wheeler/Opel
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, goldfish999

Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47401

could I swap the plate and pinion for wild willy lwb parts and run the larger tires?
Jeff

Re:Willys Wheeler Wheels on a Wild Willy m38? 6 years 3 months ago #47402

Yup that should do the trick

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.