Keyword

TOPIC:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55781

WOW!

I really like the use of Lunchbox parts :)

Reminds of the 6x6 Lunchbox's and Clod Busters I saw in the RCCA back in the day B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55783

WOW!

Reminds of the 6x6 Lunchbox's and Clod Busters I saw in the RCCA back in the day B)

During the 90's when the bullhead was released, an american custom brand did a pure custom on a bullhead. Ally chassis, 6x6x6, and inflated twin wheeles. With ally rims. A real beauty.
But the french article is unfindable. ;(

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55784

Yesterday i found a potential new paint supplier - www.sprayster.com/

19 cans for slightly over 42 GBP including nextday delivery seemed a little to good to be true, not just the prices, but some of the products too - but mostly the layers of names, and the number of changes. "Sprayster" seems to be a trading name of "Wintra Ltd", was known as "Overfy" during 2015/16 (source: twitter.com/overfyonline), and before that, presumably something else...

The PAINTfactory brand apparently belongs to WDL - Woolbro (Distribution) Ltd - whose website is www.rapideproducts.co.uk/.

I don't know how many layers & name changes I'd find if I looked at other paint brands & retailers - but I've never felt I needed to.

I was a bit skeptical & paid by Paypal to add a layer of protection, thinking at worst I'd be out the money for a couple of weeks...

However, no problem - parcel arrived this morning :) The Hycote branded stuff I've used a lot before so no problem there, but the NATO Green "PAINTfactory" cans didn't come in the design I expected (ok I can see a redesign/rebranding, but having a ride on lawnmover is considered an upgrade to the graphics?!?!?!?), and they still didn't give any information on the type of paint and/or compatibility.

Including Acetone & Xylene (presumably as the sovent) and DME (which I assume to be Dimethyl ether (aka methoxymethane) - presumably as the propellant) points to it being a "synthetic lacquer" type... a cautious sniff test of the drying paint tends to confirm that, I have a test panel in the shed so I can see if it's compatible with the Hycote primer or if it needs to go on bare - and whether it'll stick if it does...

My reason for trying it, in case you're wondering - I'm not airbrushing the bodywork on this (even more so if I do go on & build its 8x8 big brother), and the alternative aerosols are smaller and/or way more expensive. I have to say it's more satin than I'd like, and very orange peely (though perhaps that was me deliberately rushing things to make the test more likely to fail if it was going to).

I've also been somewhat productive, making 4 double sided jerrycan bodies, sanding the lot, and making a couple of fire extinguishers by modifying Willy NOS bottles.

:)

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55785

WOW!

During the 90's when the bullhead was released, an american custom brand did a pure custom on a bullhead. Ally chassis, 6x6x6, and inflated twin wheeles. With ally rims. A real beauty.
But the french article is unfindable. ;(

You can still get chassis kits, I'm sure I've seen wheel doublers recently too :)

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55786

Woohoo. Thanks Jonny

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55797

6 to 24v convertor arrived, prompting this appalling lash up for testing the motor :blink:

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55798

I really like the engineering on this.

Are you going to use the winch to pull logs from the forrest or just a gimic since you can? ;)

I have plan to make a winch on one of my rigs, either by using a crawler planetary gearbox because it was useless as a normal gearbox.
The claimed 5:1 ratio was nearer to 20:1.
That and a 55-80turn motor should be able to pull even a 10 pund rig.

Either that or build a gearbox with spur and pinion and a 100 turn motor.
Which I have parts to do both ways.

What is your estimated finished weight and what motors will you use for the Lunchbox gearboxes?

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55804

I really like the engineering on this.

Are you going to use the winch to pull logs from the forrest or just a gimic since you can? ;)

I have plan to make a winch on one of my rigs, either by using a crawler planetary gearbox because it was useless as a normal gearbox.
The claimed 5:1 ratio was nearer to 20:1.
That and a 55-80turn motor should be able to pull even a 10 pund rig.

Either that or build a gearbox with spur and pinion and a 100 turn motor.
Which I have parts to do both ways.

What is your estimated finished weight and what motors will you use for the Lunchbox gearboxes?

TBH it'll probably just get a quick run around the garden to prove it works; I'm making it all up (including the winch) as I go, I can see me having to make a much smaller reel (or dig a lot more out of the middle of the existing one) to keep the gearing down as it was possible to stall the motor by grabbing (carefully) the reel, although that could have been down to the battery state of charge. I may also need a pulley/snatch block to improve the pulling power too.

I was thinking of a pair of basic silvercan motors for drive, possibly run in series to keep the speed down, but I think it'll need more torque, so a pair of 55T motors run in parallel are my current plan.

No idea of the final wieght yet, but the chassis as it stands weighs 3.4kg (7lb 8oz) with the battery another 1.8kg (just under 4lbs) so it's going to be a heavyweight ... 20lbs wouldn't be a bad guess.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55806

Test piece back from the shed....

Both sides were keyed with 400 grit paper, right side has Hycote grey plastic primer applied thick in one go, left was bare. Paint was applied in one go about an hour later.

Top stripe is Hycote Clear "Lacquer", bottom is Tamiya XF NATO Black, both applied in one heavy coat about 18 hours after the paint.

Far sides both had 30 light rubs with 600 grit paper, wet.

My conclusions:
- It's actuall pretty decent paint;
- it bonds well on a prepared surface, but better on primer;
- there's no immediate/sort term reaction with other paints - though long term effects could still happen.

Overall, given what I know at the moment I'd be happy to use it over primer & overpaint details, although given my experience in the past I'd avoid the clear - but that's not needed on this build anyway.

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 9 months ago #55807

Bits for the winch have been trickling in the last few days, I'm still waiting on a momentary on-off-on/DPDT switch to operate it, but I have enough bits to make some progress, which means I'll also be able to finish the boxing in of the underside of the chassis, make the front bumper, which means I can start on the top deck & potentially the bodywork :y:

Clockwise from top:
- Thimbles (to make eyelet at pulling end) + loop/terminal clamps;
- M8 eye bolt for rear end;
- 3mm (smallest I could find) carabiners;
- M6 eye bolts for front end;
- Bowden cable outer + ferrule(s);
- 1mm inner/wire rope.

Other bit I bought but won't be using this time:

- 1mm 8-section crimps (possibly a better way of doing things, but I'd either need an expensive tool to use them, or one of unknown quality/lead time/import duty issues);
- 3mm Cable clamps (very cute but too small for this build);
- 5mm shackle (just too big ... but I may keep one hanging on the rear.

4-way XLR connectors for remote winch control:

Reinforcing the front end of the chassis, was 1mm, now 10mm, plus I've narrowed the pipe so a plastic ferrule will push fit in the inside, and I can Dremel out the front to a bowl shape.

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.