Keyword

TOPIC:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 8 months ago #56048

That's a lot of styrene!!!

I can't make one box square, let alone several ones!!

Keep up the good work :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 8 months ago #56055

I've been playing with the engine sound simulator, I haven't been able to find an official list of what the noises are supposed to be so these are my findings/guesses.

Your start point may vary as the sound selected is retained between power offs & there's no way to set it back to factory.

1 - rough start, lumpy tickover, revs increse late in servo range, low revving
2 - clean, short start, fast tickover, very high rev limit
3 - very similar to 2 but revs start later & revs even further
4 - rough start, trucklike tickover, but revs unconvincingly high (small petrol 4x4 with broken exhaust?)
5 - rough start, rough/trucklike tickover, revs unconvincingly high (small diesel 4x4 with broken exhaust?)
6 - very much like 5 (fast diesel tractor?)
7 - rough start, fast tickover, revs start late in range, middling rev limit (V8?)
8 - very much like 7 (but lumpier/missing cylinder?)
9 - middling rough/short start, fast tickover sounds like diesel electric train, very high revs (v6?)
10 very similar to 9 but with a more lumpy tickover

All sounds have the same, irritating "brake" noise.

The speakers & enclosures are suprisingly good for their size. The case halves appear to be solvent bonded together - obviously I've already cut one open :y: Note the relatively fancy ductwork for the small port. The drivers have no information on them, but the bas of the enclosure says SP40-06, the drivers are 40mm across at their widest & I'm guessing the 06 is impedance.

The volume control adds decibels up to about half way, after that it's just adding distortion. Whether it's the amplifier or the speakers causing that I'm not sure. I'm undecided about replacing them, initially I'd always thought about using the egine compartment as an enclosure for bigger drivers, but now I'm leaning towards using the existing ones fire down through the mudguards & using the space for the battery as well as all the electronics, seeing as it's already compromised by the 550 motor frothe winch gearbox :)

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 7 months ago #56406

Finished & fitted the chassis spines, then had to reduce 6 off them due to tyre fouling & looking a bit too chunky at the front:

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 6 months ago #56806

Didn't realise it had been so long since I last touched this :(

Mudguards/top deck complete:

Parts for the first two layers of one side of the cab:

Bond together, repeat for other side of the cab:

Back of cab + 3 internal bulkheads ... clearly lots more to do but I've got through all my 1mm and 1.5mm styrene :blink:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

s 8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 6 months ago #56810

Working on the "face":

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #56895

I don't feel I've got very much of anything done over the last week or two, but I have got a little further on the Maz - supporting ribs in for the roof, first skin of 0.5mm sheet on, and second skin leaving some gaps to correspond with those on the side ...

I've also been looking at the interior & exterior details - the vents on the side of the cab of the 1:72 scale 535 I've been using as my primary reference don't seem to correspond 100% with an real examples I can find photos of, at best there's a single, double length pull out (possibly mechanically operated) vent on the secondary section of the cab, with regular louvres on the tertiary section, but no examples with two on each.

The cab is very sparse with will make modelling it very easy, interestingly on the 1:1 versions there appears to be seating for four, or just about - all the seats are very low tech (not much more than a folded, slightly padded garden chair). The leftmost seat is approx. three quarter width, with a double width bench seat to the right of that & slightly higher, with the steering wheel in front of the leftmost half. The 4th seat is the same as the far left, just on the far right. What this adds up to is quite a lot of remodelling of Willy's body - angle, curve and missing sections - and probably no room for more than one :(

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #56920

Making holes in the cab roof & making cover bits to complete the louvers ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #56961

Working on roof details, slots cut in sides for inlet ducts, + ducts themselves :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #56962

Wahoooo

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #56972

:woohoo:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.