Keyword

TOPIC:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 1 month ago #58429

Really a masterpiece!

This one of the times when you actually hope the thread will never end, like project Binky on Youtube.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 2 weeks ago #58562

Working on the tailgate:

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 2 weeks ago #58563

Very nice Jonny.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 2 weeks ago #58568

I cut down the "large" side of the drop hinges as they looked a bit too toy like, I've fitted the tailgate & chains to support it in the open position.

Holding it closed are a pair of mini (but bigger than Tamiya mini) body clips. Initially I made the retainers out of a few twists of fine wire core, but they didn't drape artfully (or at all) so instead I dug up the remains of the fine chain I'd used on my teardrop caravan sink plug, made some rings from 0.8mm brass rod for the ends & soldered them on.

:)

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 2 weeks ago #58569

Woohoo perfect.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 4 days ago #58645

Starting on the canvas topper ...

I cut out a suitably sized bit of calico (using a finished edge for the "back") & hemmed the two sides (not very well) with back stitch & punched holes for brass eyelets.

I removed the existing lower planks & made new ones with reinforced areas to take the brass hooks:

Eyelets fitted & lengths of para cord stitched in each side; I still have to do the hard(er) bits at then ends :)

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 4 days ago #58647

Really nice work mate :y:

You as the styrene guru on this site, I have a question for you.
I need to slit a 3.2mm styrene tube down the middle..
Any idea how to do this without get a wobbly line?
I was thinking make a slit in a thick alloy plate for the universal knife to pop through and drill a hole after measuring the knife blade hight.
Then fit the plate in vise and push the tube through while holding the knift to the correct angle...

Good idea or do you have a better solution?

Last edit: by caprinut.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 4 days ago #58648

If you've got a large number to do or need a long piece it might be worth making some tooling - but when I had to make 10x 50mm long half pipes for the back of this project, I cut off more than 180 degrees (with a razor saw) then sanded back to the correct size :)

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 2 days ago #58671

Thanks for the advice :y:

Only one tube is needed.
Mine won't be cut in half tho', I need to make a slit so the pipe is threaded onto the edge of a styrene sheet, clamping onto the sheet if that makes more sense..?

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 2 days ago #58674

I'm still thinking vice, razor saw & repeat as many times as needed to get one you're happy with :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.