Keyword

TOPIC:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 5 years 7 months ago #51611

Hey Mr. Retro! Looks great!
Not sure why you were saying that your airbrush was not good for 1/10 camo, looks good to me :) The real ones were all fee hand sprayed too. If it is the edges you are worried about, try thinning your paint a bit more, turning down the pressure and moving closer to the surface. Draw the out lines you want and work to build up the color inside areas, don't try and do it all in one pass, test this on some scrap, I find I can make fairly clean lines this way. It's more important on smaller scales I think this looks just right for 1/10 :y:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 5 years 7 months ago #51628

Turns out I didn't have a windscreen so had to make my own from 0.5mm Lexan ... quite happy with the overall result :)

Attachments:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 5 years 7 months ago #51629

:woohoo: she is awesome. The paint is incredible and a lovely canopy. I am fallig in love.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 9 months ago #60854

OLD THREAD ALERT :blink:

Wow, I didn't it's been a long time since had any Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler projects on the go... no wonder I needed another one :D

I spotted this vintage wheeler on eBay and made a last-few-seconds bid, I won't say it was a huge bargain but compared to the bonkers asking prices seen recently it wasn't a bad finishing price...

I suspect people were put off by the odd stance, missing switch stay, MSC & resistor pack, tyre wear, multiple craks in the glass, wheel & body damage (lots more breaks than are visible, and missing areas) + the 3D printed front bulkhead & mech box cover.

The body can be stripped, repaired & repainted, I've put new edges on wheels before, the tyres can be fitted the the other way round, the stance should be easily sorted, the £D printed parts can be sanded, filled & painted. The 'roo bar and splitter are missing, but both mounts are there, and I can live with the cracks in the glass once the rest is cleaned/polished.

In short, it's got all the making of a decent rescue/shelfer, and will me another car closer to my "dream" of having a full perm of the 5 Suzuka demo race colour schemes.

I already had a blue Wheeler driver on the shelf, and in anticipation of the car arriving, made a set of the #2 blue decals from self adhesive vinyl. The numerals aren't correct, but look more like the rest of the set, having the number 5 as a starting point.

:)

Attachments:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 9 months ago #60855

I love this tiny chassis.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 9 months ago #60858

Nice to see another one added to the collection. I have a couple of them myself.. They are pretty neat.
Wild willy superchamp
Scorcher blackfoot

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 9 months ago #60860

Yes JR :D I've been craving a good resto thread ;) Do you have the original bulkhead and mech cover or with you just paint these to suit?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 8 months ago #60919

Yes JR :D I've been craving a good resto thread ;) Do you have the original bulkhead and mech cover or with you just paint these to suit?

There's no chance that anyone will be able to pass them off as the correct parts, so I'm going to sand/fill & paint them :)

ETA - I don't have a mechbox lid, & I'd be frit to look at the price a bulkhead is going for, even if they're available :blink:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 8 months ago #60920

Started dismantling ... I don't know how the two screws & nuts holding the front of the "glass" in got so corroded when the other ones came out with no issues - but even after soaking in penetratiing oil they weren't going to come out.

I don'y like adding damage to a body, but at least it's a fairly easy filling job.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 3 years 8 months ago #60922

Lights have been glued in :(

Tail lights had been indifferently painted on the outside, but a bit of patient rubbing with cotton buds & X-20A thinner (plus a bit of scraping) fetched in off. After a little bit of polishing they'll be fine.

"Glass" sanded with 400, 1200 & 2500 grit wet & dry paper:

Finished with Novus Heavy & Fine Scratch Removers:

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.