Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 6 months ago #12458

Doh! Completely forgot about the wheels ... I've sanded the chewed up edges off, primed them ...

... and painted with VW Alpine white:

:)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 6 months ago #12464

Dusted off the old polisher ... basically a bend grinder with the abrasive wheels taken off & replaced with polishing mops, and the gaurds removed ... can't say I'd recommend that :whistle: Brown "soap" block is quite coarse, blue is medium ... not single glove - the other hand been eaten by mice :pinch:

And talking of meeces, my white (fine) soap block had been attacked too - somewhere there's a mouse with a heck of a smile :silly:

Bits after machine polishing:

Note that it doesn't get into all the nooks & crannies, and is not a perfect finish - it's really about cutting down on the elbow grease & time required to get the bulk of the work done...

Polished by hand with Autosol ...

And the awkward bits done with a bit of rag:

I machine polished the Cheetah chassi bits while I was at it, but the hand finishing will have to wait - I've had more than enough for today.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 6 months ago #12478

Lots of building work on the Frog today ...

Manual page 3 - frame & front uprights:

Page 4 - front wishbones & front wheels:

page 5 - front end finished, starting on gearbox:

Page 6 - gearbox & rear wheels:

Page 7 - rear arms & driveshafts:

Page 8 - Shocks & MSC ... I added a JST connector earlier to give me more RX power options, quite fortuitously it turned out ... it also turned out to be the wrong one, it turned out :whistle: so i had to change it later ....

This sort of thing winds me up:

It only took a minute to finish it properly:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 6 months ago #12479

Page 9 - electrics & servos; as expected the MSC sode AS-5S servo the car came with didn't work, so it got replaced with a later AS-7 from my spares box ... IIRC it was the MSC servo off my 1st Bigwig ...

Testing the ARC RX revealed it didn't work, but the spare ARE version one did - and as it has BEC I could run it straight off the new MSC connection :y:

Manual page 10 - antennas & servo saver:

Diver had the wrong body, so I raided my spares for the correct one, and head too, because I'm about a week behind on the correct one :whistle:

Underside looks a lot better than when it arrived:

As does the top :D

Apart from fitting the correct head & the new battery holder bits coming from Louisbaby :y: it's just about finished :)

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 6 months ago #12480

Another nice restoration Jonny!
Going from this...

to this...

shows skills!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60128

Old thread alert! ;)

I sold this in May 2018, it's up for sale again on eBay with a different driver head & radio gear.

I don't keep particualrly copious notes, but Paypal do - I see I sold a "Vintage Tamiya Frog, Team CRP Bumper, Ballraced, not run since rebuild" for 80 GBP BIN (less fees, less post) to someone other than is selling it now ... I'm currently Frogless, but I think I'll build another one at some point rather than buy this one back :)

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60133

I like the team crp bumper.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60151

This sort of thing winds me up:

It only took a minute to finish it properly

:laugh: :laugh: Seriously, This statement has stuck with me since I first read it back then. I'm with you ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60152

Old thread alert! ;)

I sold this in May 2018, it's up for sale again on eBay with a different driver head & radio gear.

I don't keep particualrly copious notes, but Paypal do - I see I sold a "Vintage Tamiya Frog, Team CRP Bumper, Ballraced, not run since rebuild" for 80 GBP BIN (less fees, less post) to someone other than is selling it now ... I'm currently Frogless, but I think I'll build another one at some point rather than buy this one back :)

Doing my usual Ebay browse to see what is about, I have noticed the all Vintage Tamiya stuff is bidding up. My theory is that with everyone stuck at home because of Covid-19 old Ebay is an easy release point?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60162

great job jonny on the frog
looks really great where did u find the vintage antenna rod they are hard to find now
thanks

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.