Keyword

TOPIC:

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60166

great job jonny on the frog
looks really great where did u find the vintage antenna rod they are hard to find now
thanks

They were freely available 7+ years ago :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60170

great job jonny on the frog
looks really great where did u find the vintage antenna rod they are hard to find now
thanks

:ohmy: I think I have about 10 of them ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60193

AndyAus could u sell me 3 mint ones how much thanks

58041 Frog resto 3 years 9 months ago #60259

AndyAus could u sell me 3 mint ones how much thanks

Haha They are all to be restored first before they could be considered mint ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #67921

I've sold on quite a few cars that were on my "must have" list - pretty much anything I or my friends had BITD, or we lusted over in the catalogues & RC guide books.

Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover, Grasshopper/Hornet, FAV/Wild One, Hotshot, Bigwig(s), Fox(es), Falcon, Monster Beetle, Striker (really? :D), RC10, Mardave Meteor(s) and Cobra(s) have all come and gone, and others - but I've been Frogless for sometime now, having had a (very) used one around 1984/5, an NIB re-release one in 2008, and several more, both old & new since.

TBH they don't handle that well, the metal antennas are a liability in any sort of crash, the rear wing is especially fragile, the diff & drivehafts can be problematic, I think the boxart pink is silly, the chassis is liable to brown badly, the shock mount points on the rear arms are weak, and so on - but nevertheless I kind of miss having a Frog around. 

Another new one didn't hold that much appeal - I like the restoration process too much I guess - so I have been keeping an eye out for a half decent one. Today I spotted one on eBay that looked to be minging - especially the remains of a balloon, sorry "Rubber Bag" on the MSC - but fairly intact & honest otherwise. It needs a new body, decals, driver sprue, rear tyres & probably drive boots, but appears to have a box, hump battery & early (non-BEC) Acoms mk.III radio set. Looking forward to it arriving :)

I've drawn up a #7 to replace the 1 & 2 decals (started with a 2, flipped & mirrored), as that's at least the number I'm up to now.

"Highlight" are in the seller's pics below :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #67923

Looking forward to this.

Frog is one of them I have not owned, but they are growing on me so maybe I get one later on.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #67924

I like this compact design. I got one in the box but never tried. If it is like the brat.... I should be desappointed with a standard silvercan. I had more fun with a sport tuned. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68009

It's arrived :)

The decomposing rubber bag on the MSC I already knew about (note remains of the white print in pic 2), but apparently the 4x AA battery holder & RX had been waterproofed in the same way, and the resulting tar (mixed with failed alkaline battery juice) was also on the inside of the drive battery door & on the chassis.

Attachments:

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68010

Note the font on the batteries & the fact they're made in Japan - I think they've been in there since 1984 :blink:

I knew the rear tyres would be useless, I had hoped the fronts would be ok but at least replacements are widely available :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68011

Resistor casing has failed :(

I already knew about the melted insulation and body, but unfortunately all the conductors in the wires - all of it, including the servos/RX/chargers - is all rotted out. Green on the connectors & black in the wires, so it's never going to work without replacing everything. TBH I'd rather have a non-functional, vintage looking setup than a running modern setup in this case though :)

Driveshaft boots looked very suspect, but one is also split.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.