Keyword

TOPIC:

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25148

I've collected a number of projects, but haven't really had the time to do much yet. So I figured I'd post this restore to help motivate me and find a bit of time each week. I've pretty much bought all the pieces separately and finally got the rest of the missing parts for the body last week. I am still missing a set of front wheels (if I was to make it a 58005 version), but will instead use the RM-01 wheel set. This one I intend to paint all white (see bottom pic for reference), including the rear wing with black highlights. I figured I can't restore the chrome properly, so am happy to paint it. Not pictured is the gear box, but have managed to collect a NIP one.

To begin with I need to clean up the body (luckily everything else is NIP) so I soaked the body in hot water to try and soften the glue and hence remove the body parts. This has worked for everything except the rear wing, front headlights and rear engine cover. So any tips on how to get these off will be appreciated!

While I work out how to remove these remaining bits, I will remove the paint and then repair the two cracks at the front. For the cracks I'll try friction welding first. I'm going to try dettol again to remove the paint as it seems to affect the plastic less than brake fluid (i've noticed brake fluid can dry out the plastic).

The following user(s) Liked this: achmedachmed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by yogi-bear.

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25174

Very nice, I like this white and black detailed colour scheme :y: Watching with interest :cheer:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25186

Hi Yogi,
This is an interesting resto, and I will follow it.

But, the images you link to are huge, and slow for most to download, so you should reduce them in order for more to bother to view this thread.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25192

Id hate to drive that lambo after walking the dogs in the country it just wouldnt work muddy dogs and boots = trashed car id rather have a land rover

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25238

Lars - oops, sorry forgot to reduce half of them, but fixing ...

Tamiya Nut - yeah, I wouldn't even take my kids in a car like this. My preference would be a hot looking model in a bikini, but my wife might take offence to that!

So far have gotten most of the paint off, initially using dettol. But then I started notice the plastic was going grey, so switched to oven cleaner. Not as quick, but definitely cheaper! To remove the attachments, I soaked the car in hot water and gently pulled it apart to get all the pieces off. In the end I only damaged one of the mufflers. The windows aren't in too great a condition, so I'll try to re-make them out of polycarbonate sheeting.

Next step is to clean up and then undercoat.

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25240

Looks good a very cool project B)

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25244

I wish you hadn't mentioned bikinis, now I'm suffering from an old skool hip hop ear worm (Kool G Rap & DJ Polo's "Cars") -

one day you will see me
in a fly Lamborghini
on my way to the beach
pickin' up girls in bikinis
I'm a hip hop star
an yo I'm bound to go far
and all the girlies jump right on it ...
when you drive a dope car

:whistle: / B)

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25247

:laugh: yeah and all that money they bolt on silly doors and a big spoiler and your still stuck with wind up keep fit windows :)

dont know why im slagging it off i loved the countach in the eighties i even had a poster the bliss and ignorance of youth :P

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25249

nicely done Yogi :y:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58005 or 58008 Countach restore 10 years 6 months ago #25268

Looks good, body does not look that bad in pictures. What thickness you going for on the lexan windows?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.