Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67981

Narrower tyres need narrower wheels ...

Left in the pic below shows the F150 Ranger front wheel inside part machined down, right is a new Brat etc front. 2nd pic shows where I had to do the same machining, but then cut a section out to make the depth match.

For a brief few seconds, the sun was in exactly the correct position to come through the 30mm gap in my blind, through the magnifying lamp, and cast a rainbow spectrum on the end of the lathe :)

Below left shows the F-150 Ranger centre machined down, right is an untouched Brat part. The Brat part mush have a slightly different construction as following the same steps, the OD was much larger. I left that alone as it won't get in the wat & may even be helpful.

The outside wheel part needed a large section taken out of the middle (untouched part on the right).

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67984

out of interest, how well do the glue tires hold up to general running? or do the become pretty much shelf queens only?
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67986

out of interest, how well do the glue tires hold up to general running? or do the become pretty much shelf queens only?

I did this for purely visual reasons (wanting the same 8-spoke wheels both ends, but narrower at the front), but all the plus points are there - superior glue, rubber tyres rather than the more plastic ones, non-driven wheels, silvercan motor - so I would expect them to be ok. TBH I wouldn't do it for a runner unless other options weren't available, the Clod tyres on my combine harvester have held up. Same with Lunchbox tyres on a vintage Wild Willy (gearing way too tall, wouldn't do it again), but those same tyres on something else (can't remember) faster & in the wet, significant (but not total) failures. 
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, Lemsko, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67994

Two of the front axle shafts turned out to be bent :whistle: so I broke out the NOS hardened pair - note the wider bearing area & thicker where it doesn't really need to be, but the black finish implies some sort of heat treatment ...

Gear cover was very cloudy before &  a lot better after polishing, even if it doesn't show up that well in the photos ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67996

PC-1 paint on the rear tyres ...

[

The thread in the grub screw hole on one of the front arms felt suspect when I dismantled the chassis & failed completely when rebuilding. I did try an M3 V-coil insert but the hole was already a bit oversize & stripped out again at the first hint of torque. Drilling & tapping to M4 fixed it, but I do need to find a shorter grub screw.

Two choices of period correct black endbell Mabuchis, but only one had the wide slots needed to clear the tab inside the garbox:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67997

It's a mess of mk.1, mk.2, upgrade, modified & re-re parts, but the chassis is a lot cleaner and more complete than when it arrived :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, yogi-bear, oldwilly, stingray-63, AndyAus, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67998

Yeahhh it's beautifull.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 10 months ago #71405

I've done absolutely nothing towards making a Type 181/Thing a reality, but I did buy these "Shapeways VW Style" rims for Rough Rider wheels on eBay late last year. Despite sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, painting & clearing they are still incredibly grainy & fibrous so I don't believe they originally came from Shapeways. They're passable from 2 metres away ...

I checked the fit before I started on painting the inners black - I turned some 39mm OD, 14mm ID discs from 0.75mm ABS sheet to fill the gaps. I'm not sure if I'll use these, or if I prefer the DIY 8-spoke wheels & Sand Blaster 515s for the front.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 10 months ago #71407

Put rust touch on rims and you'll have graveyard 181. 
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 7 months ago #72390

Ever since seeing stingray’s Revell 1:9 KubelWagen build a while back, I’ve been itching to get my paws on one myself. I didn’t want the new, expensive re-issue with the brass photoetched parts, I wanted the 2004 version. Unfortunately, those suddenly had a heavy Covid hobby premium on them. 

What I didn’t realise was that there was a family tree to the 1:9 Kubelwagen kit (see www.scalemates....n--1184457, nb I’m sure the “new parts” bit is wrong) – and one of the branches, using the same moulds, manual and transfers, was a 2018 Italeri version. I paid about the same for a new one as a pre-Covid, previously owned Revell kit :) :y: 

The only difference I can see inside is that it’s all (apart from the black seats, and “glass”) a pale grey, meaning you really do have to paint it… 

The plan is to put it on an SRB chassis, omitting the interior & putting the roof up (and resin reinforcing it). Other builds I’ve seen add a 25mm longer chassis to increase the wheelbase by that much, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. I’m not going to do that, I’ll either live with a slight mismatch or shorten the body a little – it’s what Tamiya would have done if they’d made a RC version :) 

This is going to jump ahead of building a Thing/Trekker as I think there will be things I can learn from it & apply to that scratchbuild – or at least use it as a pattern.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.