Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47886

This thread has become the repository for all my alternative bodies for the Special Racing Buggy chassis :)

Index

Bel Ray Bullet

page  1 - Mk.1 F-150 Ranger chassis purchase, strip & clean
page  2 - Re-release Buggy Champ body mods & paint
page  3 - Driver paint, wheel mods & paint, NIB Acoms mk.2 radio window mesh fail, peroxide treating F-150 Ranger wheels + bumper
page  4 - Window mech success, clearcoat fail, decals, Bel Ray Bullet complete
page  5 - NIP MSC, wellnuts
page  6 - MSC fitted, Nerf bars
page  9 -  Front tyre decals

Super Brat

page  1 - Super Brat theory
page  7 - Vintage Super Champ & re-release Subaru Brat donors, cutting Brat body, Frog from Brat remains
page  8 - Frog paint, Frog complete, making Super Brat front body post extension
page 10 - Super Brat chassis fixes/tighening, card mockup topper, starting the topper
page 11 - Topper filler, paint, Super Brat complete.

VW Thing aka Trekker aka Type 181

page 11 - Matchbox diecast inspiration
page 12 - Mk.1 SRB purchase & dismantling
page 13 - more dismantling, cleaning
page 14 - wheel mods

Original first post

A long, long time ago (about the same time as fixing up a Super Champ), I decided I wanted to make a version of the 5th SRB - that is, a Subaru Brat body on Super Champ chassis, with Ranger/Brat/Pajero wheely wheels/tyres, and I'd have to work something out for the front body mount (more on the legitimacy of a Brat bodied SRB later)... I thought I'd make a topper for the pickup bed too, just to make it a bit more individual than what otherwise would be a parts bin special.

Unfortunately, when I had the money to buy another Super Champ there were none about, and when I didn't, surprise suprise there were lots going comparitively cheap. This went on for some time ... well, basically I had a bit of a brain fart & bought a rolling Ranger chassis.

The mechanism box is horrible, but it did come with a fairly clean used set with a grey/brown tint. Front bumper is not worth saving IMO, no matter how original it is. As a whole it's filthy and a bit worn, but overall I'd say it's fairly honest.

Note the "mk.1" SRB features - front spring stops are screws, the front arms are skinny, and the rear arms have wide holes in the back. Up until quite recently I'd got it in my head that all Rangers would be "mk.2" - that not the case (more on mk.1/mk.2 -ness & distribution later).

I'm still not entirely clear what I'm going to do with it - I doubt very much I'd get my money back if I sold it on as is, TBH I doubt if I'd get it back if I stripped, cleaned, media blasted it all & broke it for parts - so I will definitely have to do something with it ... at the moment I'm leaning towards some parts swappery (or maybe the whole chassis) with my "fake" Ranger (which has a "mk.2" chassis) ... another option is to make a Rough Rider out of it to complete the SRB set - but I've never had any affection for the first SRB outing ... either way a proper strip & clean is going to be required so at least I can get on with that :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: indexing

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47887

Looking forward to the continuation of this! :) :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47888

Another interesting project.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47899

This is from the instruction sheet from the Brat body set (dated 1983) - note the portion to be cut out from the truck bed, this is also marked by a heavy recessed line on the Brat body, even the re-release. The forward edge of the hole is for the MSC fitted to the Super Champ, the rear for the oil bottle, and the wide sides for the aluminium roll hoop.

Note the rear body mounts on the Super Champ chassis go through the forward mount points for the Brat's plastic roll cage, which means it can't be fitted.

There's no mention of the front body mount point, which is a bit of a swizz as I can't see how the Super Champ front post will reach.

Theoretically, I could get (or make) a Superchamp top deck, risers & rear body posts & sort something for the front - and get a Super Champ MSC ... to cut to the chase, I just had a look at my Brats with toppers reference pics, and I've kind of gone of the idea - it'd be at least this ugly - and with a "Truggy" wheel layout :S

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47934

Topic now split in two.
The Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 discussions will continue here: tamiyabase.com/...ifferences
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47941

Stripped the chassis down yesterday, these were the highlights...

PO has filed down the middle crossbar to so the servo saver fouling it:

Front end was quite corroded, especially where steel & pot metal meet ...

Managed to snap a screw off in a front arm ... there's a bit sticking out from the other side, so after cleaning I'll try to cut a slot in it & drive through...

Not impressed with this, just because it doesn't show on the outside is no excuse for doing it properly...

Gearbox contents was well lubricated :whistle:

Apparent issue with the length of the left rear shock was in fact a DIY bumpstop - a small sqaure of steel, held on with sealant ...

I'm short three camlock pins, I know just what I need (AWG 13/0.072"/1.89mm Aluminium rod/wire, or SWG 15 which is the same size) but can't find it - options are the length of silver steel I already have (difficult to work), buying brass (wrong colour), or machining some (very fiddly)...

:)

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47942

Ahhh, hidden surprises, always good fun...:unsure: :angry:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47943

Always a nice work to save spares Jonny. :y:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #47948

Very thorough JR, keep up the good work pal :y:
Will be following this to the end :)

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 6 years 1 month ago #48009

today I have been mostly polishing ...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.