Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #49978

How good does that mini pin stripe tape look B) Very Nice JR :)

i barely needed to use it TBH, that blue 1/8" 3M vinyl masking tape is very good :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50010

How good does that mini pin stripe tape look B) Very Nice JR :)

i barely needed to use it TBH, that blue 1/8" 3M vinyl masking tape is very good :y:

:ohmy: So I am I correct in assuming these are painted pin stripes? You double tapped the line and sprayed the stripe. I mean, painted the shell white then masked for the blue then masked off a stripe width and did the black? That is very good tape indeed, did that come from the local auto jobber? Has anyone tried the new Tamiya poly tape, looks to be abut the same idea, sort of?? I have always used Tamiya regular tape and had to cut the corner radius(s) I must find this tape!
It is looking great BTW :y: , I have the same decals in my stash too, but I never thought of doing the body mods like this, very nice indeed :)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50013

I have good results with electric tape. Vynil to. And cheaper than automotive special mask tapes. I have this type of small tape but no opportunity to use for the instant.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50014

:ohmy: So I am I correct in assuming these are painted pin stripes? ...

The black line is Kyosho Micron 0.7mm line tape, not paint. I suppose it's theoretically possible that someone could paint a line that fine by masking with the 3M vinyl tape - but I don't think I want to try it just yet :)

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50032

Using this ...

... as a reference I've painted up the driver; I can get the uniform about the right shade but it's either a bit too shiny, or with a visible white haze, so I chose shiny; helmet is an incorrect metallic blue as liked that better :)

Wheels came out quite nicely :)

Pot metal bits have had a going over with glass grit, followed by micro beads, then another ultrasonic bath:

Homemade mesh was a fail, for some reason this time the outer strands have separated & it's gone all hairy plus the thread looks too thick. :(
I've ordered some slightly thinner "natural" colour nylon thread that should avoid most of the problems.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50033

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Just loving this build.
The wheels are just spot on.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50038

That's a crazy built Jonny. So realistic.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50049

Hey man,
Thanks again for the tape tip, i'm going to get some on my next order, don't know how I missed it.
The driver is looking good man! I am looking forward to the next try at the netting I was hoping this would work for you so the rest of us could copy it too :)
Great shot of the real buggy too, I am still a fan of Mr. Malcolm Smith but tend to think of him more as a motorcycle guy, very cool man. If you haven't yet check him out in his younger days in a movie called On Any Sunday by the late Bruce Brown, I watch it about once a year, its just fun. perhaps this weekend is time for a showing as I recently bought another endure bike project.
Just what I need another project.....:laugh:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50053

... I am looking forward to the next try at the netting I was hoping this would work for you so the rest of us could copy it too :) ...

It worked before on my Super Champ (tamiyabase.com/...o?start=40), but that was with wider spacing and no primer... here's hoping off white thread, superglued & quickly sprayed off white will work :)

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 10 months ago #50095

Obviously overtaken by events now, but I still wanted to do somethign about the yellowing on the bumper & wheels in case I want to use them on something else:

This time my cunning plan was to bag the parts up thinking a smaller volume of Peroxide would be needed, I'm not sure if that was really the case in the end, but it did avoid faffing around trying to find suitable containers. I used the full litre as there didn't seem much point saving any, only for it to go off anyway. I deliberately offset the seal end so there was a vent at each top corner.

Lots of bubbles forming, this was early afternoon when the pesky ol' sun have moved round a bit:

After 8 hours it total I washed the peroxide off & left the bits to dry. These are the "after" pics, taken the same time this morning with the same camera settings, so the comparision is as valid as I can make it. The wheels aren't perfect, but for 9 GBP which would otherwise be spent on paint with a noticeably less genuine final finish, I'm quite pleased. In hindsight, lining the black plastic tray with cooking foil would have been a good idea.

I was a bit disappointed with the damage on the bumber, but looking back at the "before" pic it was all there before I started.

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.690 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.