Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50101

The result is awesome Jonny. And an ideal solution for lazy guys like me :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50105

The result is awesome Jonny. And an ideal solution for lazy guys like me :D

You'd need to do something to cat / dog proof it though :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50107

Progress on the mesh - left is new one made from thinner off white nylon thread & superglued; right is the fail in thick black cotton, superglued, primed and painted:

First time I've used my USB microscope other than for testing:

Note the very fine superglue "cobwebs" - this is all over & I suspect the source of the issues on the first attempt? It brushed off ok & no need to paint so I can use it as is :)

Attachments:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50108

Amazing. The detail is the detail. I love that. I haven't the patience for that. :D

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50142

Last few dregs of preparation before I can put the chassis back together ... I'm short one M3 rubber well nut - I have a couple for the re-re & some other M3 ones, but all are too small a diameter. After searching for all the permutations of names (well nuts, fairing nuts, rivet nuts, rubber nuts) and abbreviations (rivnuts, and rubnuts - which is going too far ;) ) I think i've found some the right OD (8mm) - they should arrive tomorrow so I'll know then whether they're a valid replacement or if I'll have to fork out for a genuine vintage (and hard/perished :whistle: ) one.

I was going to build this sans radio gear - but then I remembered I had an NIB Acoms mk.II set - I don't think I'm likely to find a better home for it, so why not. I sppose there's an argument for not "ruining" one of an ever-dwindling supply of period stuff - but I didn't feel guilty about using a much better NIB set (one with a near perfect box) on my Super Champ, and besides this one has blue crystals, penant & lanyard so it must be some sort of sign ;)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50143

Awesome work Jonny !

Looks already perfect
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50177

Bit of a fail on the paint, I think I probably should have gone for another couple of coats of blue before the clear, as the final "wet" coat of clear seems to have remelted the blue underneath where it went on thickest near sharp edges & where I got a bit of a sag ... it looks a bit like silcone contamination fish eyes, but the surface is level & i'd expect to see problems like that earlier in the process.

I'm going to employ a 3-step process to fix it - touching in with a tiny paintbrush, covering with stickers, and hoping no-one notices :whistle:

The alternative is to strip off all the paint and start again, but it's a lot of work for no guarantees the result would be any better.

In other news, one of the front arm grubscrew holes has lost its thread so will get a helicoil type insert, and I made a template for the side netting.

:)

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50182

Wellnut(s) didn't turn up, also realised I need an MSC so one is also on the way. It's mostly done & I'm quite pleased with it, lifting the sides makes it look sleeker & lighter, so it's a keeper :)

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50183

Jonny this replica is just fabulous. Congrats. I love it.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 5 years 11 months ago #50186

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Love it, boy is that a keeper.
It’s a stunner Jonny.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.