Keyword

TOPIC:

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 6 years 1 month ago #48840

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
No from me.

I'd have thought a light bar or more spots across the front grill would work better.

Good luck with the build though. That chassis came up a treat.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Al.

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 6 years 1 month ago #48842

Well after a lot of soul searching I have decided to do the right thing and allocate the two extra spot lights to the spare parts box and do it box art :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 6 years 1 month ago #48846

Quick question I’m sure will be answered, re the roof area of a black foot, is the part that you glue in meant to represent a sun roof, ie leaving the indented line visible to give that illusion?
TIA
Alan
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 6 years 1 month ago #48849

Yup, like on the monster beetle. But more like an extraction door.

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 5 years 11 months ago #49933

So its time to resurect the blackfoot resto, after a disaster with the first attempt at painting it, in my wisdom i thought i have no primer and since its a black shell ill just use the transparent plasticiser i had left over from my hopper paint job instead, it was all great until i sprayed some genuine tamiya TS paint on it, god knows what chemical reaction occurred but it started reacting with the body itself :cry: :cry: :cry:
So it was immedeatley dispatched to the brake fluid bucket for a few weeks
Three weeks later and all the paint/plasticiser was removable and we had a useable shell again, a lesson learned, always test paint combo's first haha
So off to the sink with it to give it a very good wash with soapy water, at this point i then decided to drop it and snap the bottom of the wing off grrrrrr, this shell is cursed im sure :cry: :cry: :cry:

Time to try my hand at something new again, never had to do a repair like this before, how to repair it and keep its strength ??? Luckily i remembered a post by Purple Rob about using pins for strength, so armed with some 0.6mm mig wire, a nylon tie-wrap and a soldering iron i set about it

turned out rather well, better than expected tbh :) :) :)
A little bit of filler, sanding and primer later and voila:

Finally its ready to chuck some paint at again, only four weeks wasted haha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by goldfish999.

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 5 years 11 months ago #49934

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Nice repair.
I’m glad this build is back on track.
I was thinking about starting mine, but I don’t think I can get it looking anywhere near as good as this.
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 5 years 11 months ago #49948

Nice work :)

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 5 years 11 months ago #49955

She’s finally in paint yayyyy :y:

As you will notice I have painted the area around the CUSTOM 150 on the wings, this is because I wanted to paint the lettering chrome and have no black showing after the decals are applied, well that’s the theory, and we will find out later if it looks good or not haha
Then I carefully sanded the lettering back to black to give a good flat black area to paint chrome, this method was inspired by JR’s Bug number plate trick :y:

Then time to get the X-11 out and try and steady my hand (two bottles of corona helped :) ) and paint the lettering on wing n hood and the trim round front window and the door handles

Overall tho not perfect by any means I’m quite happy with the results :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 5 years 11 months ago #49977

I thought that looked odd leaving the red paint there - took me a minute to remember the red decals that are cut around the badges :)

Blackfoot restoration (58058) 5 years 11 months ago #49995

Well done ! That's a really nice repair !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.