Keyword

TOPIC:

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50520

This Top Force Evo came to me as a nice model with some marks of use, but very good condition all over.

As usual for me, I can't leave models like that alone so I took it apart for two reasons:
1. Check that it's a true TFE, which it is.
2. Look for parts that needed replacing.

So, after a lot of googling and searching on eBay, I have the following new original parts (NOS) at home and the build can begin.
A, B and E parts, lots of titanium screws and some other bits.

The rest will be used original parts in very good condition.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by larbut.

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50521

One big issue is that 3x10mm Tamiya titanium tap screws are impossible to get hold of.
On the other hand I got hold of a lot of 3x12 screws... so here I am cutting down and grinding titanium screws with a Dremel. It works surprisingly well. :)

The joys of being pedantic... :D
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50522

Another perfect resto Lars. And the body? Is it the original, a new vintage or rere or a repro like tbg?

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50523

Unfortunately the body proved to be repro with repro decals...

The decals are very, very good. The ones that came precut but they are very thick. I've tried to measure and the decals are 0.3 to 0.5 mm thick, which is a lot both when you see them but particularly when you touch them.
The body is also very thick in the Lexan but still nicely done.

I've got a new Tamiya body ready, but the original decals seem to be unattainable. If I could get some I would probably pay the premium, but they are just not out there. I've ordered repro from MCI instead.

Another perfect resto Lars. And the body? Is it the original, a new vintage or rere or a repro like tbg?

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50527

The last version of mci decals are better. I had 2 versions. 1 ordered before I receive my tfe from waterbok. I lost them and I ordered another one. I refund the first sheet 1 week before I received the second.
The new ones have tamiya on the side black band.and details are nicer.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50536

Some actual work done.
The 01R mounted in its new gearbox with gears and diff ready to go.

All closed up and sweet looking.
Attachments:

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50537

Next is rear damper tower and upper arms.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50538

Btw, here is how a 3x12mm tap screw looks like after becoming 3x10mm

That's the best focus I could get on my phone...
Attachments:

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50539

Nice Lars. A lovely tfe

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 9 months ago #50541

Thanks Flo!

Next step in the manual is to build the rear lower suspension arm.
With me being picky I needed NOS parts as the ones it came with had a few scratches.
Checking the Tamiyabase parts database you will notice that the E-part for the TFE are unique. To me it looks like Tamiya just omitted half of the Mantha Ray sprue as those part are not needed on a TFE.

I was lucky enough to get some genuine TFE E-parts, let's have a closer look at them:

You obviously need two, and you notice the missing Manta Ray parts.

Looking at the markings and dates (!) you see that it's both correct period and even labelled TFE.

The two "wheels" are the date, year and month. It says May 1992 in this case. Notice the "9" by the arrow for the year.

I don't have any Manta Ray parts at hand to compare to, so I'll leave these pictures here for anyone to inspect for differences.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.