Keyword

TOPIC:

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50548

Very interesting infos Lars.
I see to that your are infected by the DF01/TA0102 virus. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50549

I can't wait to see the final result. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50552

A bit more done before bed time :)

The rear suspension arms are assembled:

The universal joints are put in place with genuine Tamiya bearings.

At this point I noticed that one of the lower damper mounts had a significant bend to it. Luckily I have a well filled spares box :)

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50553

Tip for today:
Don't forget the little details. If your e-clips look a bit tired, shine them up with a couple of swirves on a fine grade sanding paper. :Y:

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by larbut.

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50557

Step 11 in the manual:
Attaching rear arms to the rear gearbox.

And there you are, the rear end done and looking neat.
Attachments:

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50558

Let's do a side-step and look at the Gear Box Joints of the Top Force Evolution.

As with many other parts on the TFE, these are also unique. My TFE came with one of the sets correct, but the other was not. The wrong ones were probably from the Manta Ray gear diff which makes them longer and will barely fit in the TFE, causing some binding.

So, with the help of "the net" and Waterbok, I located the "Touring Car Hard Joint Cup Set (for ball diff)" (named 53217 from now on), as the closest match. They are visiually very similar, and hardened like the original TFE ones.

Here is an image comparing the 53217 (top) with TFE joints (bottom):

As you can see, the critical dimensions are what we need. The length from tip-end to bottom of cup are correct on both sides. The only deviance is the length of the cup and the missing step on the shaft just inside the cup. Those steps are there to prevent the joints moving too deep into the gearbox.

Here is an image with bearings installed,showing the difference:

I first thought of adding spacers between the cup and the bearings, but after installing in the gearbox I realised that the gearbox itself will act as that spacer, so none needed. (if you are building a runner, add spacers, they need to be 2,2 to 2,4 mm thick and a small enough diamater to fit inside the slot of the gearbox.)

So, I move ahead witht he 53217 joints, hoping to find the original ones some time. :y:
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Snappy1

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50559

Next on the to-do list are steps 12, 13 and 14 in the manual, building the front gearbox (using the 53217 joints in my case)

The diff I had assembeled earlier, so just add the joints and the bearings and drop it in.

Add the diff cover:

And start assembly of the internal gears, including the one-way bearing on the intermediate shaft. The one-way bearing worked perfectly. I've heard concerns about it not lasting too long if raced.

Shafts ready:

Shafts in the gearbox.

As I don't drive my restored models, I have not added grease in the gearboxes. Theres just no need...

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50561

My tfe didn't need any resto ( it comes from waterbok collection). Your built is an information source Lars. :y: somany details... thanks.
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50567

My tfe didn't need any resto ( it comes from waterbok collection). Your built is an information source Lars. :y: somany details... thanks.

Oh well it did have some scuffs and scratches but yes thanks it was in a good condition.
Maybe Lars can tell us how much he spend in the end :whistle: ;)

btw that one way bearing is still available as spare part so dont hold back racing it

Last edit: by waterbok.

58107 Top Force Evolution restoration 5 years 10 months ago #50568

Maybe Lars can tell us how much he spend in the end :whistle:

Hah! I would have to seek asylum outside Europe if she ever found out, so no way. :-D

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.