Keyword

TOPIC:

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51003

Step 14 Gear assembly:
Nice and easy step to do, three screws and some bearings. This time all ball bearings.

Parts:

Assembled:

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51004

Step 15 Gearbox
My Dyna Storm was assmebled wrong in this step when I got it. the small 7x1mm spaced on the input shaft was not ther, and I later found it inside the diff, instaed of the 850 metal bearing.. Anywat, that's corrected now:

Again, using new old stock parts:

Parts ready for assembly:

Gears placed inside one gearbox half, 830 bearing and e-clip waiting to secure the shaft in the other end.

Again, I believe you can feel the difference from the Dyna Storm to other Tamiya gearboxes I've built. It's of course small and neat, but also very well made, with just the correct fitment between the two gearbox halves.

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, blakbird

Last edit: by larbut.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51005

Step 16 Gearbox plate

Quickly done:
Add plate and the NOS Gearbox Sub Plate:

Ready for the clutch:

Attachments:

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51006

Step 17 Multi-disk clutch
If I'm not mistaken, this is my first vintage Tamiya clutch. (not counting the TRF501X WE which had a single disk clutch)

All parts laid out:

And installed:

Another error from the prevous owner was the missing plastig bearing on the inside of the clutch spring. Luckily a new gear set, with the bearing was included in the purchase :-)

And there you have it, installed and adjusted, for now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51007

Again, I believe you can feel the difference from the Dyna Storm to other Tamiya gearboxes I've built. It's of course small and neat, but also very well made, with just the correct fitment between the two gearbox halves.

Hey again,
You have been mentioning how good the Dyna Storm is and I must say I agree, I have had this conversation with another Tamiya guy awhile back, we did a bit of side by side comparison with a new ( at the time) TRF201 and a Dyna and quite honestly the Dyna Storm is just as good in every way, he even thought it worked better in some as well.
I think you can really only take the engineering of these cars so far, perhaps some newer materials, but as for suspension geometry and power distribution Tamiya ( and others) had it perfected many years ago. To be honest he was disappointed with his TRF201 because it wasn't noticeably better then the Dyna storm after all those years and considering the price he paid for the new one :blush: . We thought the big T should have just kept evolving the Dyna Storm platform kind of like Associated or Kyosho has done. They had a great design, why change it?
Great build I am enjoying following along:)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51016

Step 5, attaching steering arms.
Notice the metal bearings. These four and another in the clutch is the only difference between this 58116 kit and the reissue 49190 which had ballbearings all over. And of course the kit-included pink Acto-power motor.

I have a 49190 Dyna Storm sitting on my shelf waiting to build. Until reading your message, I didn't even realize that it came with the pink Acto Power motor. Now I'm even more excited! At 14 turns, I assume that it can't be driven by a standard basic Tamiya ESC. What do you plan to use?

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51017

Adspec with the good CPR UNIT. ? :D

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51018

I haven't thought about ESC yet, but I might use the Novak one that came with the Dyna Storm. I can't remember what type the Novak was, but will check when I get home. (at work now)

I have a 49190 Dyna Storm sitting on my shelf waiting to build. Until reading your message, I didn't even realize that it came with the pink Acto Power motor. Now I'm even more excited! At 14 turns, I assume that it can't be driven by a standard basic Tamiya ESC. What do you plan to use?

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51023

Or a old futaba like this?
It supports 18t and was with a 14t
Attachments:

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 5 years 8 months ago #51181

Back to business. The D-parts arrived and I go back to Step 7 in the manual.

Front suspension assembly.

Parts laid out for assembly.
The damper stay gas the nuts mounted from factory, I guess they are glued or something.

And suddenly assembled :-)

Step 8, Front Arms

NOS arms married to the front bulkhead with original hardware.

Ready, set, GO!

Looking good.

Again, the front end shows that Tamiya meant business with the Dyna Storm. Bronze bearings in both ends and again very good fit.

Last edit: by larbut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.