Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57505

The 58192 King Blackfoot is the 3rd generation following the original 58058 Ford Ranger Blackfoot in 1986 and the 58110 Super Blackfoot in 1992. All are based on the ORV chassis which began with the 58038 Subaru Brat in 1983. During that time the problematic rear gear box was fixed, the cantilevered rear suspension was replaced with conventional geometry, and the short front suspension arms were replaced with much larger versions. The venerable space frame chassis endured. Although there would be more Blackfeet in the future, this was the last to use any part of the original chassis. The original two trucks used the same step side Ford body, but this third generation changes the body to include a full sized long bed. While bearing the same basic shape as the original body, everything has changed including the roll bar, the bumpers, and the grille.

This is a very simple monster truck chassis. Unlike any real monster truck, it is rear wheel drive but this is consistent with the whole history of the Blackfoot line. It has four wheel independent suspension and simple friction dampers. The ORV chassis is very simple and durable so will survive a lot of harsh treatment, but with those big tires with no foams and no dampers you can expect it to bounce around like crazy.

My copy is mostly original except that I have updated to a "modern" electronic speed controller and have replaced the friction dampers with oil shocks. With those minimal changes, this thing is a blast to drive.

I purchased the King Blackfoot used, but it was still complete with a box in great condition. Inside the parts trees were scattered rather than bagged like they are new, and the tires were already stored on the wheels. As far as I could tell, all the parts were new with the notable exception of the body. Even though the model had never been built, the body had obviously been used. It was scratched and cracked, but it had never been painted and the stickers were still new on the sheet.
Here are the parts spread out on the table along with the original manual and hardware bags. There are not very many parts. On the right you can see the miscellaneous parts of the disassembled body after I installed the stickers and painted the grille. They don't look brand new but they are in pretty good shape. The chrome is a bit dull and cloudy.
These photos show the condition of the body as it arrived in the box. From afar it looks pretty good, but up close you can see some scratches on the hood and there were even a few cracks. I was able to repair the cracks and sand the scratches smooth. After application of a layer of black paint, the body looks new.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57506

The parts trees reveal that the Blackfoot is an interesting amalgamation of prior sets. Obviously its DNA goes back to the original 58058 Blackfoot, but even before that the ORV chassis came from the 58037 Subaru Brat which is confirmed by the "A" space frame parts tree shown on the left. The original Blackfoot gearbox was not too good but was updated by the time of the 58110 Super Blackfoot. Even before that though, the upgraded gearbox first showed up on the 58101 Bush Devil. On the right you can see that the "D" parts tree for the gearbox is from the Bush Devil.
As you can see on the left, the "X" friction dampers are from the 58082 Madcap. They were blue on the Madcap and are red here, but are otherwise unchanged. Finally, on the right we see the "E" parts tree for the shock towers which is new for this model.
This model uses a very sturdy gear differential housed in a giant ring gear. The whole thing then sits inside the gearbox housing as shown. There's only a single stage of additional gear reduction given that the second gear in the photo also serves as the motor spur gear.
The completed gearbox now has the drive cups installed as well as the fixed length upper suspension arms which are pinned directly to the housing.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57507

The photo on the left shows a completed rear lower suspension arm as well as an exploded view of another to visualize the assembly process. Each arm comes in two pieces which are screwed together with an upright pinned at the end. The upright houses a pair of bearings and a drive cup. On the right these lower arms have been installed along with the dog bone axle and the stock motor. This motor uses a very long 10 tooth pinion to reach inside far enough to mate with the spur gear.
The steering is very simple. There is a single bell crank mounted to a chassis cross member. The servo saver is not here, it will be mounted to the servo horn.
Here you can see the space from chassis along with the front bulkhead which differs substantially from the original Blackfoot. The lower arms are 2-piece and the upper arms are fixed length.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57508

This kit was designed in the early days of Electronic Speed Controls and was intended to use Tamiya's C.P.R. unit but I don't have one. I did, however, have an older TEU-104BK ESC. This is a perfectly good ESC except that it does not have an integrated BEC (voltage regulator) so it passes battery voltage directly through to the receiver and servo. I installed a cheap 3A BEC to solve this problem.
The shocks included in the kit are the dreaded "friction dampers". I'll admit that these are better than some because at least they have a rubber collar inside which does provide a certain amount of resistance to motion. They are quite long as you can see.
Now I've installed the cover over the electronics, the bumper, and the wheels and tires. The tires appear to be new and unused. I've painted the body but have not yet installed the stickers or applied the clear coat.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57509

The only significant objection I had to the performance of this model was the dreaded friction dampers. Granted, this model is probably intended to bounce around with those huge tires anyway, but I just can't abide friction dampers on principle. The problem is that CVA oil shocks are not made in red at this size. I was able to make some of my own by combining and altering other parts. I had long surplus CVA shocks from my CR-01 chassis because I had already replaced those with aluminum. I combined the long rods from those shocks with the white shock bodies from a white edition Dark Impact. I used red dye to color the white shocks, and then reused the spring and spring perches from the original shock. Voila! You can see a comparison of the old friction shock and the new oil shock on the right. The red is not a perfect match but I don't think anyone will notice.
Despite the fact that this started out as a used model with some damage and some missing pieces, it came out great. You would never know how old it is from looking at it.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57510

Looks great!
I died a white shock red for my lunchbox but it didnt come out anywhere near as nice as yours.
What dye did you use?

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57511

Looks great!
I died a white shock red for my lunchbox but it didnt come out anywhere near as nice as yours.
What dye did you use?

I used RIT dye. I boiled diluted dye on the stove and then immersed the shock parts for about 30 seconds.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57512

I think i used dylon, but the red turned out a little muddy.
I have more white bodies, i may try again.
Thanks.

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57513

I think i used dylon, but the red turned out a little muddy.
I have more white bodies, i may try again.
Thanks.

I also dyed some white shocks blue for the Mad Fighter. It worked even better.
Attachments:

Blakbird's 58192 King Blackfoot Build 4 years 4 months ago #57517

Again, they look great!
The dylon 'worked', just not really the right shade.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.