Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57724

Hi all, I recently purchased a original Tamiya cheetah project from eBay. I mainly restore srb but have done a few other models. I had my eye on and cheetah for a while and fell in love with it on eBay. Long story short I won and it’s not too bad, good condition with intact torsion Rods, came with box, Manual, nib battery, and some spares. It’s been sitting on the shelf for a few months and I finally got round to starting it today. This is an ongoing build so I will add to the thread as I do bits to it. I plan to finish it before Christmas, however we all know what it’s like with projects, lol.

I’ve attached pictures of it originallly and will add another message with what I have been done.

I’m not sure if anyone is interested in the thread but thought I’d share it anyway. Any advice or if anyone has any parts for sale please let me know as I need some bits.

Thanks,
Ash 😀
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ashley6626. Reason: Forgot pictures

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57725

To start with I wanted to try to remove the gloss paint from the body shell as I wanted it back to the plastic underneath. I tied a few things on one of the smaller body accessories, some things messed the plastic up however I found that nail polish remover took the gloss off nicely without affecting the plastic underneath. I filled a shallow tub with remover and left it to soak on each side for 20 minutes and then agitated. Here is what it looked like before I started and one of the sides I have started on. I removed the body accessories prior to this as some I had others to replace them with and some were in the wrong place.
Attachments:

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57727

Definitely interested in seeing your progress on this :) :y:

Sorry I don't have any parts, everything I hade left out of making a good Cheetah & an XR311 out of (IIRC) 5 or more bad ones went to another member some time back.

Good news that your torsion bars are intact, but in my experience the square holes they fit in to on the suspension arms also tend to crack at the angles, so just when you think you've got it set up, it expands & clicks round 90 degrees. I don't think I've ever had a complete setup that I felt I could trust to run as Tamiya intended :(

:)

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57728

Wooo very nice project. Congrats for this purchase.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57732

Hi everyone, thank you for the comments. Today I have cleaned up the chassis and added some radio gear to the chassis. I have also removed the scratched paint of the front bumper sump and have re sprayed it but have not yet put it back on. The mounts seem to to good on closer inspection, I remember the previous owner said he found it in his grandads loft. It was stored upside down in the box so luckily for me the tires are excellent and have no soft spots.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57733

Thank you, I will update the build thread as I complete certain parts 😀

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57795

Hi there everyone, i have made some progress with the chassis. i ran out of nail polish remover for the bodyshell so will have to get some more tomorrow.
in the mean time i resprayed the bumper mount, tidied up and got all the electronics working after being dormant for many years, only to find one wheel doesnt spin. so i disassembled the geardox and found a grub screw was missing. one grub screw later and some assembly and the car was driving like a champ in my living room. i then adjusted the torsion bars to counter the weight better and put the rest back together.

A s for the bodyshell the nail polish remover removes the gloss paint nicely however the grey on the sides is a bit more hardwearing and only loosens so it has to be scraped, leaving scratches. do you guys rekon it would be ok to leave it to soak in the remover for longer or use something to agitate that wont leave marks as i am unsure on the best way which wont damage the body shell with scratches. i almost need a brush with thinner bristles that will agitate but not mark, any ideas?
Many Thanks,
Ash
Attachments:

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57798

I can't help you with the body. ( All my tests failed or gave bad results).
But your châssis looks pretty nice.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57799

I can't help you with the body. ( All my tests failed or gave bad results).
But your châssis looks pretty nice.

Thank you :). I’m making steady progress... I might try looking for a scrubbing brush with softer bristles tomorrow as that may agitate better.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57800

B&q sell graffiti remover called desolvit in a spray can. Safe on hard bodies and lexan. Just spray it on, work it in with an old toothbrush then wash it off. Will strip a whole body in 10 mins.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, ashley6626

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.