Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57840

B&q sell graffiti remover called desolvit in a spray can. Safe on hard bodies and lexan. Just spray it on, work it in with an old toothbrush then wash it off. Will strip a whole body in 10 mins.

Thank you, i went to my local store today but they were out of stock unfortunately:( . i have gotten some more nail polish remover so i think that i am going to try spraying it on and then leaving it in a selaed bag to really work into the grey paint.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57865

Hi everyone. Merry Christmas and all that...
I’ve made a bit more progress on the bodyshell yesterday and this morning. I sprayed nail polish remover on it, sealed in a bag and left overnight. Then agitated with a cloth this morning. This is the result, just the rear bed to do now as it needs to soak for longer as it has thicker paint.

Thanks,
Ash
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57866

Oh, I am loving your restoration work! :y:
The Lamborghini Cheetah must truly be one of the most beautiful models ever downsized by Tamiya! I'd wish my example was as good as yours.:
The following user(s) Liked this: ashley6626

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57867

Oh, I am loving your restoration work! :y:
The Lamborghini Cheetah must truly be one of the most beautiful models ever downsized by Tamiya! I'd wish my example was as good as yours.:

Thank you 😊. I got lucky that the paint was gloss wall paint which came off with light removers. Same as under the paint the plastic is in good condition. I’ve got everything to restore the bodyshell except one wing mirror and three headlight lenses. I saw all of these parts on eBay the other day, transferred money but looked again and they had sold unfortunately.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57868

Woow a pretty nice result mate.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57869

Definitely interested in seeing your progress on this :) :y:

Sorry I don't have any parts, everything I hade left out of making a good Cheetah & an XR311 out of (IIRC) 5 or more bad ones went to another member some time back.

Good news that your torsion bars are intact, but in my experience the square holes they fit in to on the suspension arms also tend to crack at the angles, so just when you think you've got it set up, it expands & clicks round 90 degrees. I don't think I've ever had a complete setup that I felt I could trust to run as Tamiya intended :(

:)

Thank you Jonny,it still amazes me the amount. Of small detailed parts on this particular model. I’ve made more progress on the chassis and removed paint on the bodyshell. I’ve just got to find a way to get in the headlight recesses and smaller areas to remove the paint. I have been updating the build thread.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57870

Woow a pretty nice result mate.

Thank you, just the rear “bed” and smaller areas to do now. The paint is much thicker on the bed than anywhere else.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57871

I'd never tried to leave varnish remover . Now ,i will try on my next body resto. :y:

Last edit: by stingray-63.

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57872

I guess you have to know more than one way to go through removing enamels from your models.

I've dealt with as much as seven different layers on a particular car body in the past and I have experienced with varnish remover, caustic soda, graffiti remover, and brake fluid. Sometimes you just have to try different methods for different type of paints, there is not a single way to do it all. In this case the varnish remover did the job correctly. On your next restoration you might find you need something different, and so on. :y:

TAMIYA Lamborghini cheetah restoration. 4 years 3 months ago #57880

I guess you have to know more than one way to go through removing enamels from your models.

I've dealt with as much as seven different layers on a particular car body in the past and I have experienced with varnish remover, caustic soda, graffiti remover, and brake fluid. Sometimes you just have to try different methods for different type of paints, there is not a single way to do it all. In this case the varnish remover did the job correctly. On your next restoration you might find you need something different, and so on. :y:

I’ve stripped a lot of sand scorcher bodyshells and Jeep Wrangler ones using paint thinners and brake fluid. However one time the brake fluid started to dissolve the plastic and ruined a first edition sand scorcher bodyshell of mine with the misspelling. Wasn’t happy. To strip my bodyshells now i use my sand blaster as it reaches all areas and leaves a smooth surface finish. Here is my sand rover I did with it. A before and after picture of once sand blaster and then painted, always turns out well... I think I got the sand rover colour pretty close
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: mongoose1983

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.