Keyword

TOPIC:

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58324

Hello!

I stumbled on this site while researching the restoration of my original Rough Rider so thought I would share the restoration with you.

I've had this car since the mid 80's, it was rough when I got it and it was abused by myself as a young lad - many incorrect screws were used and mods made that seemed like a good idea at the time. Finally it was left to rot in my parents loft for about 30 years until I pulled it out this weekend and started buying parts to put the old girl right!

Parts have started to arrive, pics tomorrow hopefully. I stripped some of it down yesterday, no pics of that, sorry.

Today's effort was getting the car totally stripped down to asses the extent of the damage to the gearbox. I had replaced the internals 30 years ago but the bearings are all shot as well as some bad wear on the final drive spindle.

I'm disappointed to see that the gearbox halves are damaged where the roll over bar attaches, not sure if I am going to replace these yet, might just get some but not use them...

Onto the pics, helped by my little mate :)

More to come tomorrow
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by NorthernMonkey.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58325

Hard to tell without the ears, but a Devon Rex mix?

Agree the bearings need replacing, but the rest doesn't look too bad :)

Welcome on board :y: B)

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58326

She is a pure Devon Rex, 7 months old and a little beauty :)

I'll take some pics of the rest of the parts tomorrow, the front end was replaced about the same time as the gears but I still have the original,
To be honest I never thought it would run again and only recently discovered that the kit had been re-released, so bought one of those recently too - a project to do with my son.

The bearings are a mix of the sintered and plastic types, all are goosed but will be replaced with ball races.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58327

I can't wait to see your resto more and more with your son. SRB chassis are relatively easy to restore but expensive.
And your workcheaf is too cute. It looks like a siamois or sacré de Birmanie in french.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58331

TBH I think we're more equally interested in the cat ;)

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58332

TBH I think we're more equally interested in the cat ;)

I'll post more pics of the cat tonight... just picked up some more parts from the post office.

Ordered the gearbox halves and the bearings, thought I'd bought the bearings already but not so.

Should hopefully make some progress on the cleaning tonight.

Just as an aside, I was looking at the RC Channel stuff, does anyone have any of the upper rear arms for the double wishbone setup? Paul is out of stock and does not think he can supply them.

Last edit: by NorthernMonkey.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58333

:D

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58336

So, Tonights update:

got the rest of the car stripped down, the front end it soaking in IPA at the moment - some bent axles mean more parts on order... this car is like Trigger's Broom..

I don't think these will go again.. :laugh:

Radio box has seen better days...

New parts are coming in:

The kit is for my son to build at a later date

And now what you all really want.... cat photos!

The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Al

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58337

That's a crazy transformation. A rough rider into a pretty kitten. :D
No. You did a nice work on this rc. The original front rims look like ranger ones. Jonny could confirm that because I am not 100%sure. if yes, they are rare now.

Your cat is is too cute ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: NorthernMonkey

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 month ago #58349

That's a crazy transformation. A rough rider into a pretty kitten. :D
No. You did a nice work on this rc. The original front rims look like ranger ones. Jonny could confirm that because I am not 100%sure. if yes, they are rare now.

Your cat is is too cute ;)

She is very cute :)

I was wondering if those rims are from the Ranger - I don't think they are, I think they are from the Subaru Brat but if there is a way to tell I would like to know.

Should have some more progress later today - I've noticed the original front suspension axles are different to the ones in there at the moment - these are the same as the RE-RE.

Hoping to start re-assembly next week once a final gearbox part turns up....

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.