Keyword

TOPIC:

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 2 weeks ago #58743

is there a way i can attach photos?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 2 weeks ago #58748

You would need to use an external image host like Imgur ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: NorthernMonkey

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 2 weeks ago #58749

You would need to use an external image host like Imgur ;)

I'm using Imgur - I'll set the picture resolution lower on my DSLR so I don't break the internets with my huge photos :laugh:

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 2 weeks ago #58754

I let my comp the whole night...and could see 2 pics this morning :silly: :silly: :silly:
Just joking, if you lower the resolution it will help lot's !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: NorthernMonkey

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 1 week ago #58953

So... I have attempted to paint the body, I'm fairly happy with it but i have run into a few snags, there are some paint bleeds that I want to sort before I apply the decals and clear coat, can anyone tell me what i need to so to sort this?

The paint is about 12 hours old here, should I wait till it's fully hardened before attempting to repair?

Thanks for any help & the pics should be a lot smaller now :)

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 6 days ago #58956

I'd leave it to properly harden for a week or so before really delicately sanding off the errant blue (1200 grit & up, 1500 or 2000 would be better) and touching up by hand where needed (I'm guesing you used aerosols, wear gloves & spray a bit into some sort of receptacle & use a very small brush.

It's not as bad as you think it is - especially if you use Kyosho Micron tape ([url=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574973347&toolid=10001&campid=5337063502&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fm.html?_odkw=&_ssn=kyoshospares&hash=item23d434d5c0%3Ag%3AUMgAAOSwNHZehHU8&item=153884087744&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmicron.TRS0&_nkw=micron&_sacat=0here[/url]. Even 0.7mm wide tape will cover a multitude of sins & is a lot less noticeable than you'd think.

The main trick is not to stretch it - especially on curves as when it relaxes, it will lift. This is harder than it sounds as it gets stretched by the very act of peeling it off the reel :whistle:

:)

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 4 years 6 days ago #58957

I'd leave it to properly harden for a week or so before really delicately sanding off the errant blue (1200 grit & up, 1500 or 2000 would be better) and touching up by hand where needed (I'm guesing you used aerosols, wear gloves & spray a bit into some sort of receptacle & use a very small brush.

It's not as bad as you think it is - especially if you use Kyosho Micron tape ([url=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574973347&toolid=10001&campid=5337063502&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fm.html?_odkw=&_ssn=kyoshospares&hash=item23d434d5c0%3Ag%3AUMgAAOSwNHZehHU8&item=153884087744&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmicron.TRS0&_nkw=micron&_sacat=0here[/url]. Even 0.7mm wide tape will cover a multitude of sins & is a lot less noticeable than you'd think.

The main trick is not to stretch it - especially on curves as when it relaxes, it will lift. This is harder than it sounds as it gets stretched by the very act of peeling it off the reel :whistle:

Thanks Jonny.

I'll order up some tape. In the mean time I will try to clean up the edges as best I can ant touch in the bad bits.

I did use TS cans but I have a good airbrush as well.

As you say it's not as bad as it looks, I'm actually quite pleased with the result - I wasn't expecting perfection on my first attempt but I'm glad I've tried this instead of using the RE RE stickers which I feel is a cop out on a vintage car like this one that never came with a body when I got it.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 3 years 11 months ago #59299

Forgot to mention that in theory you can spray a light coat of the base colour after masking, so any bleed under the tape is the base colour ... I've tried it & I'm not convinced TBH - the masking has to be on for longer (so more shrinkage/movement + you've got more paint making the ramping up (that won't be the technical term, but I think you know what I mean) of the 2nd colour.

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 3 years 11 months ago #59301

Forgot to mention that in theory you can spray a light coat of the base colour after masking, so any bleed under the tape is the base colour ... I've tried it & I'm not convinced TBH - the masking has to be on for longer (so more shrinkage/movement + you've got more paint making the ramping up (that won't be the technical term, but I think you know what I mean) of the 2nd colour.

I tried a few of the things you suggested, unfortunatley I just made things worse.

I've sanded the body down and am waiting for more TS-1 to arrive for another attempt :)

Very Rough, Rough Rider resto... 3 years 11 months ago #59700

Attempt #2:

So Overall I'm happier with the lines, I used Tamiya curved masing tape and that seems to produce better line, however, as you can see I missed some areas when masking...DOH!

I'm going to lot it sit for a week to harden then sand those areas back and hopefully not damage the white. Once that is done I'll apply decals and clear coat.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.