Keyword

TOPIC:

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59022

Hi all. I've started reconstructing a vintage Pajero. I've already had some great help in ordering parts (servo horn) and now I need some glue advice!

To start with there are big chunks of bumper missing, worse than that, stress fractures abound! What glue should I sure up the splits with before I tackle the bumper augmentations?

thanks in advance

SEAN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59024

Conventional polystyrene glue like you used to use on Airfix kits will work - Humbrol Poly Glue, Revell Contacta etc - but it's stinky & messy IMO, enve using the "precision" versions with a fine steel tube ...

I much prefer using straight solvent/plastic weld type "glues" (you hold the bits together, then use a fine brush to pick some up & hold it to the gap, the solvent then moves by capilliary action the bonds the two parts.

Tamiya, Humbrol etc make their own "Extra Thin" versions, I've used EMA Plastic Weld (with great results - but decant some into a smaller jar as you will knock it over & weld what you're working on to the bench) but I now buy Dichloromethane in quantity. Tamiya have a new (I think) Limonene based one, in theory that should work very well and be less agressive than other types.

:)

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59026

I wonder if the Pajero body is more brittle than other Tamyia hardbodies?

Haven't got round to mine yet, but the front is broken almost all the way through so it's flapping around in the wind.
A pillar (windscreen pillar) and backwards is good.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59032

Sean you can use Jonny's advices. Common guys like me use revell contact glue included in scale 1/24 kits. But if Jonny advices use this product, use it. ;)
Like with the paint texture for airbrush. It needs to be like milk texture.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59034

That is great advice, I'll order some now. I think it is polystyrene, so the weld stuff should work great.

Cheers
This stuff "Model X Pro 50ml 1x bottle PLASTIC WELD Cement Glue Styrene ABS Perspex Acrylic" seems to be a liquid type as suggested.

SEAN - Photos to follow

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59088

First photo showing extent of the damage to repair

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: inserting pics :)

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59089

Here is the CAD work:
Attachments:

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59090

Cut-out and paint (to gauge how the metal version should look)

Last edit: by Sean63.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59092

Cardboard Aided Design :y:

But .... metal ?

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59094

Cardboard Aided Design :y:

But .... metal ?

Are thinking the same...
Styrene is much easier to work with and that's what the body material really is.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.