Keyword

TOPIC:

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59100

I've cut and shaped a piece of aluminum to go in there. You suggest styrene?

is that easy to make complicated bends with?

SEAN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59101

I've cut and shaped a piece of aluminum to go in there. You suggest styrene?

is that easy to make complicated bends with?

SEAN

Don't think of it so much as one piece, more as a number of planes or boxes ... I'll sketch up how I would tackle it in styrene, the curved bit is 2 dimensional so can still be made from flat strips :)

I can send you some bit of styrene if you PM me your address, It'll be offcuts & scraps but TBH you don't need a great deal to fix that :)

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59102

Step one – tidy the rough end & let in a bit of styrene with some bracing/overlapping on the inside

Two – using the other side as a template, add in the top & front & one side of a box, bracing internally again

Three – I would suggest doing this off the car to start, you need to make a box with the top & bottom the same as would be needed on the car (the bottom is a bit smaller than the top), less 1mm on the curved edge. Add internal bracing to stop the open face drooping. Add a strip of 0.5mm styrene (wider than you think you need, as it will go on curved. Once that’s set properly, trim off the excess and add another layer. Once set properly, fit to the car.

Four – shape fillets to fill in any gaps above the boxes

Five – trim back as much as is practical to restore the shape of the wheelarch, sand the fillets & fill if needed

Six – if the car is going to get some serious use, you might want to add some sort of mesh & resin to add some more strength

:)

ps the image #s don't match the steps 1:1

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59110

You can also laminate layers to build your shape and then file and dremel the corretc shape afterwards.
It tend to be a bit heavier, but should hold up the useage.
Any model kit glue will work, and also the melting types that are recomended to styrene as Jonny mentioned earlier.

I built this bumper with the laminate technicue, complete with the bush guard. All of that in styrene.
Styrene is easy to shape with files, dremel or heat.

And here before sanding and painting

I also recomend to look in Jonny's threads, featuring styrene.
As the one he builds now of Lunchbox bits.
Also recomend the method that you are most comfortly with, work smarter, not harder ;)

Last edit: by caprinut.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59111

I was thinking (more than thinking, cos I've already made it) using aluminum due to its strength and ease of manipulating/working.

MANY thanks for your offer of styrene, but I'd prefer not to start begging for bits and raiding other peoples spares boxes!

Where would I best get a sheet or two in differing thicknesses . . I guess ebay again?! I think the glue for the styrene has arrived - so I'll be able to build the box sections as suggested.

See attachments

SEAN

Attachments:

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59113

That is amazing work - yeah, solid layers could be done - but a box section looks more of a challenge!

SEAN
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59114

For assorted styrene pack, think ebay would be the best yeah.

Hobbylinc (based in usa), have deffo the highest selection of styrene out there.
www.hobbylinc.c...c-supplies

I mainly build my stuff with 1.5mm sheets .060" (not too thick on small procjets, and strong enough for bigger projects)
Nearest supplier to me that carry styrene is 2.5 hour away, so I have to order every piece of styrene.
They are also expensive, so when I need more than a sheet or two, I tend to buy abroad.

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59123

A personal question: how come you are a Capri Nut? That is a very European vehicle - you are state side?

SEAN

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59125

I was thinking (more than thinking, cos I've already made it) using aluminum due to its strength and ease of manipulating/working.

That's looking pretty good so far :)

Pajero 58044 - Serious Body Repairs 3 years 11 months ago #59133

A personal question: how come you are a Capri Nut? That is a very European vehicle - you are state side?

SEAN

Because I'm norwegian ;)
I was already intrested them as a young boy when looking thru my late father Street Machine magazines in the eatrly 80s, even I had not seen one on the road where I lived.
At 10 years of age or so I got a lift in blue Mk3 3.0S with Janspeed exhaust fitted.
The fella did floor it at the end of that lift (not to my moms amusement), and that engine sound stuck to my mind like superglue.
Fast forward some years and there was a chap doing burnout up the hill back of our house on regular basis.
Both the shape and engine sound was just something that was calling my soul. And the burnout was a bounus.
I lived in a S shaped hill side, so when I heard him coming up the hill on the downside, I got ready to see and hear theburnout I knew was coming.

About the same time I had my paper round and there was a flat black one with slot mag wheels, I was really digging it.
At the same spot there was also parked a modified green one time to time.
As I passed my driving test, I bit the bulled and placed a note on the windshield of that flat black one.
Long story short, that one bacame my very first car and the first of 5 Capris on row, so much did I like them.
Got my license in 94, that Capri in 95' and been a member of Capri Club Norway since 96' which I have been attending all the annual Capri shows since then.
Some of my closest friends have I met thru the Capri comunity.
I'm sitting in the board of Capri Club Norway as the webmaster and been a region contact in the past.
Have also driven down to Germany two times to attending the world biggest Capri meeting.

There are two things that I have passion for, Capris and Tamiya or rc in general.
And I do like my Fords :P

Last edit: by caprinut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.