Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clod gets bearings and chassis 3 years 10 months ago #59834

While pondering a lack of front steering on the Clodbuster I noticed that the poor thing was still running on nylon bearings! That coupled with me having a new chassis to fit (for the last 8 years) meant drastic action needed to be taken.

Body off, wheels off, gearboxes out. Horrible job but now done.

But, before new bearings go in.....

Q1. Best way to tackle gearbox dismantling?
Q2. Are there better shocks recommended and are the affordable considering 8 are required?
Q3. Will I have any sanity left after dealing with these gearboxes?

Sean
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clod gets bearings and chassis 3 years 10 months ago #59836

Q1. Best way to tackle gearbox dismantling?
Q2. Are there better shocks recommended and are the affordable considering 8 are required?
Q3. Will I have any sanity left after dealing with these gearboxes?

1 - undo every single fastener until you're left with the smallest possible discrete parts, ultrasonically clean everthing by material type (do the motors first, or not at all), dry thoroughly & lube as appropriate, rebuild using manual & correct Tamiya screwdriver(s).

2 - With so much unsprung weight, I'm not convinced the shocks do anything, other than allow the body to wobble 10mm or so in any direction. I wouldn't bother unless you have plans to modify until it's a capable offroader ... in which case it's not really a Tamiya anymore ;)

3 - I've always liked dismantling things, and (mostly) putting them back together again ... maybe you need more practice (= excuse to get more cars ;) )

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: mongoose1983

Clod gets bearings and chassis 3 years 10 months ago #59841

This is fond of me!

Clod gets bearings and chassis 3 years 10 months ago #59871

All done. Did the gearbox rebuilds one at a time over two days. I found some odd things in the gearboxes!

One or two ball races were mixed in with the nylon rubbish Tamiya put in the kit.

Two nuts and bolts were completely missing holding the half shaft casings.

Rear gearbox had black dust inside. Nothing I could see showed wear.

A part had been omitted on the front gearbox - a spacer between the small and large bearing within one of the pinions.

Tough work! It is a little quicker too. Not worthy of the effort I put in..... But I enjoyed the challenge.

Sean

Clod gets bearings and chassis 3 years 10 months ago #59874

2 - With so much unsprung weight, I'm not convinced the shocks do anything, other than allow the body to wobble 10mm or so in any direction. I wouldn't bother unless you have plans to modify until it's a capable offroader ... in which case it's not really a Tamiya anymore ;) :)

You are definitely right on that one! :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.