Keyword

TOPIC:

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 10 months ago #60746

WD40 is not a so good product. It rusted and killed tue blue treatment on a weapon in 2 weeks after cleaning it with wd 40.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 10 months ago #60748

Yes, I would like to agree that WD40 has no place on our cars ( or weapons :) ) it is meant to displace moisture W ater D isplacemnet formula 40, it does an excellent job for that, smells ok too but as a lubricant or cleaner not so good. It is really too bad they started marketing it as an all purpose household lubricant product, people think it you should just spray it anywhere.
As for the Celica / 959 arms they are quite robust, the most damage I have seen tends to be age related or drying out cracks coming from the holes where the shocks attach. I see someone is selling some alloy replacements on evilbay again, nice stuff but the price is bit steep for me.
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 10 months ago #60749

i dont use wd-40
i just saying that the faster u make the car go the more likely you will crash it or brake it in some way
parts are getting hard to find now
my friend had a 959 and his dogbones where breaking all the time but i dont know if he put the dynatech 01 motor in it
i took my technigold motor and put a 540 silver can in there not as fast but dont have to buy brushes or anything
i hit a pump in the road and it flip up on 2 wheels but cuz of the speed not going fast it just came down again
my heart was going flat out too i nearly died with the car lol
my car took 3 years to build so i dont like to be fixing it all the time if at all
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, crestwood23

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 10 months ago #60756

Yes, I would like to agree that WD40 has no place on our cars ( or weapons :) ) it is meant to displace moisture W ater D isplacemnet formula 40, it does an excellent job for that, smells ok too but as a lubricant or cleaner not so good. It is really too bad they started marketing it as an all purpose household lubricant product, people think it you should just spray it anywhere.
As for the Celica / 959 arms they are quite robust, the most damage I have seen tends to be age related or drying out cracks coming from the holes where the shocks attach. I see someone is selling some alloy replacements on evilbay again, nice stuff but the price is bit steep for me.

I have been using WD40 and a toothbrush to clean all of the old dirt and grease off of my 959 parts after disassembly, and I think it has worked well for that purpose. All the tiny screws and filthy grease covered shock parts etc are now clean and shiny after a soak, scrub and a wipe down. Is there a better method to handle this initial cleaning step?

I wouldn’t use WD40 as a lube. I have a lightweight sewing machine oil that would probably do the trick where lighter grease is needed, and I will use Tamiya ceramic grease where heavier lube is needed (gearboxes etc). Or should I just use the ceramic grease anywhere lube is needed?

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 10 months ago #60765

i used sewing machine oil with a tooth brush to clean my metal parts
any way just clean them up u may have to use something like grease or oil over them to try stop rust from coming back if u know what i mean
i use the ceramic grease HG every where
as for the plastic use soapy water

Last edit: by spannerman3.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60776

i dont use wd-40
i took my technigold motor and put a 540 silver can in there not as fast but dont have to buy brushes or anything
i hit a pump in the road and it flip up on 2 wheels but cuz of the speed not going fast it just came down again

How did you put a silver can in a 959? Because of the way the Technigold mounts, I was under the impression that it is not possible to install a different kind of motor.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60801

hi blakbird how are u
yes your right about the motor mounts it wont fit all motors for the 959
i like to tell u how
well u see the tamiya clodbuster the 540 motor has the white end bell well
not all the clodbuster 540 motor will fit the motor rings for the 959
i put up a few pic to show u the motor with the wires off the motor it will fit the 959 and the one with the wire wont the ring wont fit it its like its 3mm smaller for the ring for the 959
i dont know why this is maybe the way its made or a different people make the motor maybe u can tell me
i got new 540 motors to show u you still can buy them cheap u cant put the wires straight back u have to solder the wires on the side and rap the wire around the end of the motor to come up for the speed controller it took me hours to find out how long u should have the wire
your a pro it might take u ten mins
Attachments:

Last edit: by spannerman3.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #61109

Thought I’d post my progress. I have it mostly rebuilt, threw in the upgrade parts that were mentioned like the Celica diff, Celica front stabilizer, aluminum sway arms and aluminum underplates. Just waiting on the new shock tubing, a resistor and some tires - hopefully they come soon as now I can’t wait to run it!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #61137

Beautiful work! All those aluminum parts really look amazing. I've seen the arms before on eBay, but I've not seen the aluminum under plates before. Where did you get them?

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #61148

Beautiful work! All those aluminum parts really look amazing. I've seen the arms before on eBay, but I've not seen the aluminum under plates before. Where did you get them?

Thanks! Love the look of the aluminum parts too. I got the under plates on eBay. Not cheap, but thankfully they look and feel very high quality, so I think the price was justified. Hopefully they also add some stiffness in key places.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.