Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34298

Some of you might remember my reproduction of the Dirt Burners monoshock unit for the Kyosho Scorpion series. I finally decided to build it around a Kyosho Tomahawk. I started out with mostly vintage parts, but as this was going to be a racer (hopefully to participate in the Nordic Vintage Challenge races), most of the vintage parts were exchanged for either superior re-re parts, or completely redesigned custom parts. A few vintage parts remain, because their functions were better suited for the purpose that the re-released parts. The rear trailing arms being two of them. A few vintage hop-up parts were also used.
  • The hardened chassis rails and the alu rear cage are from Pargu in Korea.
  • The steering bell-crank (locked servo saver), front stabilizer (and mounts), front extended shock towers (and spacers) and the adjustable motor plate were made for me by a nice guy named Dwayne, from the US.
  • Most of the other chassis parts, front suspension and gearbox are from the re-re Scorpion.
  • The monoshock unit is a replica of the vintage Dirt Burners unit. It was made for me by students at a local tech/mech school.
  • The rear shock is a Kyosho CB-89 for vintage 1/8 buggies. (It's one of those I got from you waterbok)
  • The front shocks are from the optional high grade shock set for the re-re Scorpion.
  • The ball diff is a Ultima RB5 unit. I also have the re-re scorpion gear diff as an option.
  • The rollcage and some other vintage Tomahawk specific parts are used.
  • The servo- and radio plates I drew myself in CAD from scans of the originals. They were then made for me in CSC (carbon/glass composite) by Fibre-Lyte.
  • The front suspension- and steering rods are adjustable vintage Tech Racing and Trinity rods.
  • The rear stabilizer is a CRP part for the Tamiya SRB's....
  • The servo mounted servo saver is from Kimbrough.
  • Front wheels are for the Kyosho PRO-X.
  • Front tires are Schumacher.
  • Rear wheels/tires are from Traxxas.
  • There are also parts on the buggy from Yeah Racing, 3-Racing, Graupner, Cox Hobbies, Xray, HPI, O.S., S-Works, Thunder Tiger and Tamiya. Kudos to those that can point out the Tamiya parts ;-)
  • The radio (TX/RX/steering servo) are Sanwa MT4 2.4GHz.
  • The ESC is a Hobbywing brushed.
  • The motor is a Absima Thrust 19Tx2 brushed. (A LeMans was temporarily fitted during the build process)
  • The body is a TBG Tomahawk body that is custom cut to fit the monoshock.
  • I'm still waiting for a TBG Gallop wing that will finish it.
  • I'm also trying to source a place I can print some custom decals I have designed. Anyone that knows a place to print custom artwork (including white) on transparent?
  • There are bound to be some parts I have forgotten to mention....

Here are some pics from the process:

Tom
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, AndyAus, silvertriple

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TommieG.

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34299

Awesome work! your picts look to be extract from kyosho official add :y: :y: :y:

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34301

Oh my, that's some proper engineering!
NICE! :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34309

Thanks Stingray & Lars!

I really went all in on this. I haven't had the stomach to try and add all the costs on this one.... I'm sure that this is the most expensive buggy I have ever built.

Tom

Last edit: by TommieG.

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34310

:) It is sure very expensive but it is unique and the result is amazing. Maybe it us one of your dream. Félicitations

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34311

Thanks Stingray. It was something I had dreamt of doing for some years now.

I have just been emailing with MCI-RACING in Canada, and they can probably print my custom decals :woohoo:
That is good news!

Tom

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34315

:) that's perfect tommie :y:

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34318

Thanks Stingray. It was something I had dreamt of doing for some years now.

I have just been emailing with MCI-RACING in Canada, and they can probably print my custom decals :woohoo:
That is good news!

Tom

Make sure he gets the sizing right, maybe put a scale/ruler on the side of your design for measurement. (or something like those target dots you see on professional printouts)
I am waiting for his third try to get some Vanquish details right. (print quality is ok and he is quick with responding)
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34319

Thanks for the tip waterbok. I will make a ruler.

Tom

My Kyosho Mohawk (MOnoshock tomaHAWK) 8 years 10 months ago #34420

I'm still waiting for the decals from MCI, but I hate the waiting game, so I printed some myself. I will change the decals when I get the "proper" ones from MCI.

The other car in some of the pics, is my other "Tomahawk" that not really a Tomahawk either :whistle: but rather my "almost finished" replica of the Joel Johnson '87 World Champion Ultima. I still need to make a wing stay for it, as well as a front body mount. The electronics need to be mounted properly as well.

Now I'll just have to charge the LiPos and take the "Mohawk" for a test run :S
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.