Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51739

• korreka
  • korreka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
I translated from my blog: reparar-cochesrc.blogspot.com/2018/02/restauracion-reparacion-de-kyosho-raider.html
Sorry for my bad translation.

The car was like the picture: dirty, without motor, the speed controller did not work, tires that are loose from the rims, ..

I should clean and change the shock absorbers:

The car needs a motor. Before I must clean and grease:

Cleaning and whitening the wheels with hydrogen peroxide:

In the end, I paint the wheels with the white paint. I also placed a sponge inside the tires:

I paint the letters of the tire with the white paint:

I lubricate the transmission and the gears:

I place ball bearings instead of plastic bushes:

The motor is type 555 rewound by me so that it is faster:

I adjust the 15 teeth pinion:

Replacing front shock absorbers with other oil shock absorbers:

The rear shocks work well (they were previously replaced by the previous owner):

The receiver is Sanwa brand with the old standard; it is valid for an old Sanwa servo but is not compatible for a modern ESC:

I made an wire adapter for ESC (reversing + and - wires):

The car is already working well:

I will paint the body another day:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by korreka.

Re:Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51742

Nice restoration.
Did you put the wheels with the peroxide in sunlight? Without direct UV it doesn't work as well.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51743

That's a cool car!
Nice work on rewinding the motor. How did you do that?
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51744

Hvery nice resto.

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51745

• korreka
  • korreka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Yes, I put the wheels direct sunlight. Maybe, the hydrogen peroxide was not so pure and the effect was less.

Here , I explain how to rewind the motor:

reparar-cochesrc.blogspot.com/2017/10/rebobinar-un-motor-dc-tipo-rs-540.html (in spanish)

Rewind a DC motor type RS-540 (RS-555)

This is 555 motor : a little longer than a 540 motor and with 5 poles. I think it was the motor of a printer or photocopier (paper roller motor) and it's slow and silent: at 7.5V you get 1100 rpm and the current is only 80mA. I will disassemble it and change the winding to make it faster.

To open the motor, the tongues of the upper cover lid are unfolded or cut:

it has a 5-pole rotor (armature) and carbon brushes , very important to drive a large current.

I uncoil the first winding to see the number of turns: 160 turns and wire of 0.25mm. I cut the wire of the other windings directly:

Each winding is crossed with the previous one and the next and places two cores of the armature according to this diagram:

I'm going to use 0.65mm diameter wire and 9 turns for each winding. The first winding is already finished in the picture:

Since the rotor has 5 poles, between the brushes there are always two windings in series (18 turns). I ended up soldering each of the windings to the commutator, but before I removed the varnish from the tip of the copper wire so that the soldering is well done.

The re-winding is now finished:

I make a hole with a drill bit and put a screw to hold the lid:

According to the theory of the operation of a DC motor, I have varied the ratio of winding turns to 160/9 = 17 .

If I change the number of turns of the winding, the no-load speed in rpm and the current (no-load and with load) are multiplied by the ratio 17:

no-load speed: 17 * 1100 rpm = 18700 rpm
current: 17 * 0.08 A = 1.36 A

(web : mabuchi.com)

If I change the wire diameter of the winding, the no-load speed and the no-load current are
equal but the current with load and torque depend on the ratio 0.65mm / 0.25mm = 2.6:

2.6 * 2.6 * Load Current
2.6 * Torque

To check the results , I measure the voltage of the LiPo battery connected to the motor and the no-load current with voltimeter / ammeter and the speed of the motor are measured with a tachometer (optical probe) that obtains a relation: 1000 rpm / 0,1 V

I put a gear with a piece of aluminum foil in the shaft of the motor that reflects the infrared light.

The complete process is shown in the video and at the end, I am testing the speed / current:

The results obtained are: no-load speed (at 7.8V) 17,000 rpm and no-load current 1.64A . That is, about 2200 rpm / V which is the value of a stock RS-540 motor although this motor will have more torque (it is longer).

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by korreka.

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51746

That's amazing!!!!

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51747

That is "high tech" korreka!
I've sent you a PM.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51748

That should be cool to have an article. ;)

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51749

We are already working on that. Will take some weeks though... :y:

Lars

That should be cool to have an article. ;)

Kyosho Raider restoration (rebuilt) 5 years 7 months ago #51753

GENIAL!!!! :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.