Keyword

TOPIC:

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 2 months ago #70339

The different sizes is a key particularity of the Samurai.

I'm trying to recap here the different options:

First with original rims.
1. You may search on Thingiverse, someone put some stl for the tires, printed in some flexible TPU filament, they may be a valid option...
2. However, I may have found a much better solution IMHO
Front : T693 | Block - Front Tyres - Blue - CAT (pr) | Schumacher RC Racing (racing-cars.com) (www.racing-cars...at-pr-t693) - 2 inches, min block tires (same dimensions as the front Samurai tires)
Rear :  Rear Tire(Medium/2pcs/w/Inner/Scorpion2014)SCT002MB - KYOSHO RC ( rc.kyosho.com/e...002mb.html )- mini block tires, same dimension as the rear Samurai tires...

Then other alternatives requires new rims or designs not too much different between front and rear.
1. You may consider similar diameter tyres such as Hotshot tires, Alien8 sells Samurai like wheels for Hotshot tires (shapeways) - and it would be probably much better to get front and rear to get the same design
2. Other solution is to use at the rear Kyosho Turbo Optima re-release wheel set (2 inches, large) and front from Kyosho 4wd Optima (jcracingproducts.co.uk : www.jcracingpro...sho-optima) with tires from Kyosho (the front version for the one used on the Turbo Scorpion re-release which is used on the Kyosho Dirt Hog (2.2 inches, 4WD Front)...
3. In last ressort, you may use any 4WD Hex Wheels with an adaptor (some exists on the Shapeways, and there might be even some on Thingiverse if you have the capability to print).

Obviously I prefer a combination that keep the particularity of the rims diameter difference which is key in the Samurai design.

Now that being said, you should also consider that the tires are participating to the dampening, and changing the size of the rear tire profile may lead to some damage to the shock towers... The best options is maybe the one using the original rims and tire sizes.
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 2 months ago #70340

Honnestly, my first choice would be to keep the stock rims
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 2 months ago #70346

Agree, they are nice rims...

That being said, they seem to be overly difficult to find...

But Pargu could help, even if it is not exactly the original rims
VINTAGE MARUI Samurai Roues en alliage SET style ancien neuf | eBay

That being said, I'm not sure they are good to run, no clue about the weight of those nice alloy rims...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 2 months ago #70415

Samurai wheels... They are beautiful, and I'd like to keep the unique design for it when running my Samurai with some more modern tyres. That means different dimensions...

Tried to think about my strategy... And thought about a parameterized wheel in Fusion360, with the target of being able to create different size of wheels by just amending the diameter and the width (and eventually to be considered later on the type of wheel driver)...

Started to set some parameters in Fusion 360, creating a profile, revolving it, and so on...

And tadaaaa

I've not tried yet the next step, which is to change the parameters... But, I have some hope :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 2 months ago #70417

Fantastic Marc. Super work. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 2 months ago #70421

Well, far from finished, Lee.

The "wheel resizing" feature doesn't work as expected yet. Some parts are not resizable yet, and the slot are not expandable. I believe it is due to the filets, and I may have to think more to get it right, but I already progressed a lot on that aspect. Went to bed far too late yesterday (this morning actually), and it was not solved, but at least, I had an idea during the night on what to to to make it work :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70430

Milestone...

Good progress done on the wheel definition. I can modify the number of slots, the arms thickness, the internal diameter of the tire...
Next on this is to add functions to add some proportionality to the slot internal and external diameter, and eventually on the hub size, but the key principles are set. 

Next is to add rings to set the modern tires in place, and to apply the same principles on a rear wheel (and I did not have to redo the whole thing, just to tweak what I've done until now - for those trying to the do the same, extrude the slot without fillets, and apply fillets after that, it seems the fillet is not playing well with a parameterized circular pattern).
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70434

Continuing digging into the parameterization of my front wheel, with the idea than the spoke thickness should  increase when the diameter of the wheel increase or reduce when the number of spoke is higher, and tried to add some parameters to do that.

It seems that confusion360 doesn't not like this, like the fillet, and move things even though it should not be affected by the calculation. I also noticed that you have to specify when creating a parameter it is a value without unit, even if you divide a distance by another as apparently, it doesn't consider it this way, and if you use this value to multiply a distance, it would trigger some error as you try to multiply millimeters with millimeters... I guess I touch the limitations of the parameterization... or it is just bugged.

Anyway, I will keep my wheel the way it is with 3 parameters to deal with to set it to another dimension or n-slot type, and I'll manage the spoke thickness by myself for the time being...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70435

Until I had to build this wheels with some(lot)thing(s) in mind, I was using Tinkercad just because it was much more easy to play with (but too limited, clearly, which means I already hit the limits of it in quite a few occasions). This is basically the second thing I designed with Fusion360 (the rear reinforcement from the Hunter was also made in Fusion360, but I did not really understood a lot of things). I started on Wednesday evenning this week on the wheel. Few hours later, I already did more complex things than what I ever did in Tinkercad. It's really powerful and it can do quite a lot of things... Between Wednesday and today I made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot of things, revert back other things, understood a lot more of things and so on... The basis to learn something...

Even found a way to make my wheel look like the real one :)

Then took the rear wheel out of the Samurai, and started to model it. It's not parameterized yet, but it's already in good path...

Once parameterized, I will be able to do something else :-). Maybe first will be to redo all my previous parts in Fusion360, again to learn new things, and maybe to even get them better than what they were initially with Tinkercad...

In the meantime, did not succeed to get the printer working again. I still have something that I do not understand: maybe my nozzle is partially cogged again and that could explain this. But it's very difficult to handle multiple things at the same time, specially while discussing with others on instant messenging at the same time (even if this sometimes helps :-) )

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70436

Once you get the trick, it's surprisingly easy...

Make sure your apply all the required constraints. If you forget to apply linear axis colinearity with your first symmetry axis, it doesn't work with the circular pattern properly... In terms of wheels, I can already see some easy stuff to do :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.