Keyword

TOPIC:

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70445

There is some stl for the tires on Thingiverse, I imported them and could not resist to look at my wheels with tires :)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70458

They look great. Nice work. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70464

Decided to restart my Fusion360 project from scratch yesterday night, to do it properly this time...

I do have now a model which allows me to play with the internal diameter of the tyre I want to put on the rim, the width of the rim, and the number of spokes. The spoke will enlarge with the diameter and will reduce when the number of the spokes increases. This may still require some fine tuning to find the right proportion, but at least it's a start. I still need to find a way to add rings for the modern tires, and as well some différent possibilities for the driver (which is currently a friction based driver, but it would be better to allow for an ex driver in some cases...

Here is a sample of the possibilities at this stage, for the front wheel...

I still need to take care of the rear wheel properly (but I have to redo it fully as I completely messed up my initial project doing so beginner's mistakes, and secondly because the hub driver needs more thinking to be able to handle an hex driver (not for the Samurai, but for other purposes)  :-) 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70465

That's crazy Marc. Congrats
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70471

I keep doing it like crazy, and It seems I'm getting faster at it :)

I now have the front and the rear wheels done.

I've slightly modify the rear driver area as I'd like to be able to handle hex driver for some purposes but beside this it looks like a Samurai wheel in the original dimensions. I've indexed the rear hub on the front hub size. Which means that the front size inflation leads the rear hub size. The rear wheel size is to be set with it's own parameter, and don't impact the hub size.

Few things remain to do, but it is already good for now, and won't require redesign of anything when I will change the slots internal/external diameter to allow some proportionality so it scales better. And for the additional ring, it will be done later on (but that is very easy to do compare to what I've done until now :-) ).

Maybe I should consider catching up some sleep :-)
(Maybe I should also consider doing a 2WD Front Narrow rim with seats for ball bearings as well)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70472

Really nice work Marc. For the rings could you add a 2mm wide block on the front or top face and use rotate to create the ring then duplicate where needed.?
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70474

Well, it's super easy to do compare to what I have done already. I still need to find a way to get this parameterized :-). So far I did not succeed to implement a multiplication by 0 in the parameters to remove a feature. I need to find a way :-)

And yes, I could do this easily without, but why bother to make something simple when you can do something overly and beautifully complex :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70484

Lee, as said, I like to do it the hard way :-D

Well... A bit of research, and a new feature appears :).

Conditional parameters don't exist in Fusion 360, and it is not even possible to enter a parametric value with a 0. Had to find a way. A bit of search showed there is an interesting function: Sign(x) is answering 0 if x is a negative value. I decided to see if I can create rings for modern tires based on a parameter set to 1 if modern tires or -1 if original tires.... And it worked after a few tries.

Here is my wheel when the parameter is set to 1 for modern tires

And here is the wheel when the parameter is set to -1

And it's not perfect as there is a warning left in the case of the parameter being -1...
*EDIT* I had to change the rear extrusion to .1+Sign(ModernTire)*3.5, do a +.1 extrusion and a -(.1+sign(modernTire)*3.5) extrusion to get it right...

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70488

There was a last step to do on those wheel design work: be able to set the right type of driver for the stl I want to print. It was relatively easy to do, as soon as you understand what you can do with the sign(x) function.

With the Hex driven parameter set to -1, it is the Marui Samurai original friction driver which will be used. And with the same parameter set to 1, it is going to be hex driver. There is warning, but it's not really an issue in this context, as I do not make anything after that in this area (precedence has some importance in the history for this).

You can see the parameters in the screenshot if you are going thru a similar model project for a multi-purpose wheel set :-)
And yes, that was fun, I spent a lot of time on this, but I can certainly say I have quite a good idea on how to use parameters in Fusion 360. Yes it may take a bit more time than to do directly on the sketches, but it is really rewarding at the end :-). Have fun.

Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey... 2 years 1 month ago #70507

Extracted few stl from my Fusion 360 project to do some tries, as I got a roll of PLA+ Silk Silver filament yesterday. Fine tuned my settings, and launched a print of wheels in draft quality to see the results before eventual refinements of the design, and final choice of wheels.

The aspect of the print is quite promising already :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.