Keyword

TOPIC:

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71434

As planned, got back on the core gearbox, and added the Motor extension. I basically draw the extension on the rear face of the gearbox, and extruded it from there, with some offset.

I just used the motor plate to position the motor fixation holes...

And I finished by an easy work to reproduce the front plate added to fix the motor without breaking the gearbox.

For the content of the front gearbox, there is few elements remaining to be modeled : the center differential (which is also the slipper clutch), and the setting system (which is the reason the hole on the motor plate is not a circle on the differential side...

But I'll probably tackle the rear gearbox first... I closed Fusion360 for today...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71442

I don't know why I find your Fusion topics so captivating, but I end up studying every picture.  I've never even seen a Nichimo in real life, so this is almost like having one in my hands.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71444

Started to work on the rear gearbox...

First as usual, my work is starting by observation

But this time while doing the observation, I had some sketch to compare with my caliper and assess/confirm commonalities and differences

As said yesterday, I can't really use the original sketch as the angle is not workable (even if I play with a non zero value close to 0)...
So this is going to be the hard way.

I started to put the key definitions on one single sketch that I intend to use for both right and left side with some amendments. After 2 hours of work, I have my main definitions...

More time will be required, I won't finish this tonight, but at least, I'm in the good path again :)

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71445

I don't know why I find your Fusion topics so captivating, but I end up studying every picture.  I've never even seen a Nichimo in real life, so this is almost like having one in my hands.

I must say that before I did start this myself, I was finding topics with CAD pictures and information quite captivating. I believe sharing my experience in this will put some to try to do the same with other cars... And from my own experience, there is no better way to understand all the details of a car than to put in CAD...
And if you find this captivating, I definitely like it, it means my posts are useful for at least a few people :-) (at some point, I feel like lonely when I see no reaction or feedback to my posts on this :-/ - Thanks for the support :-) )
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71448

I had my sketch ready. The plan was to do common things, do a mirror, and then do things as per each side...

I started to do common things...

Then pursue to add more common things...

The mirror did not worked the way I wanted as I did not succeed to include the sketchs. I decided to pursue the left side to the end

I then apply the mirror and did the required modifications for the right side, and I have now a complete rear gearbox :)

I'm looking at what I'll do next : Chassis or Transmission?
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71449

I'm looking at what I'll do next : Chassis or Transmission?

I vote transmission.  Gearboxes are my favorite.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71450

Well, I'm thinking...
There is few parts in the transmission that are already available in the Spirit FF gearbox:
- Front and rear diff casing
- Front and rear diff internal bevel gear
- Front and rear diff 34T bevel gear
- Front and rear diff 14T bevel pinion
- Front and rear bevel pinion axis and carrier

Left to be done :
- central diff spur gear
- central diff internal small bevel gears
- central diff internal big bevel gears
- central diff axis
- slipper clutch interfaces
- central shaft and articulations
- slipper clutch setting

There is two ways to approach the problem :
1. doing the chassis first and then do the transmission to check the measurements are right.
2. doing the transmission first, and base out the chassis measurement from that

For some reason, and after thinking about it, I'll start by the chassis first:
1. it gives me the opportunity to measure the chassis and check measurements from there
2. it gives everyone the opportunity to wait a bit more to see the transmission and to enjoy it more :-)

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71453

You're a crazy man marc. That's awesome.

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71466

I resumed my CAD activity at the end of my day of work yesterday. The idea was to go as far as possible within the evenning on the Chassis CAD model. I learned a lot while doing the Spirit FF CAD model, and this should easy the work here. Plan : define the main volume, shell it, add the cut outs and details and finish...

Started by a sketch with the main volumes definition.

Then I did some extrusions to get to the next steps, and a lateral cut for the front.

Looking at the chassis, the fillets are there before we can shell, the front details as well. This mean I had to add them before applying the shell.

At the next step, I applied the shell, and start to define my cut outs (here the front one is done).

Then the motor cut out... (I have sketched this one on the rear face, and when applying the cut out on the length, it sort of confirms the measurements are right :) )

Once you have that, next is to add all the details...

Last, I worked out the rear gearbox attachment, and I have te Midships/Exceed chassis...

For the Spirit FF, the chassis was slightly less complex, and it took me 3 days to get it done. Here it was more complex, and it took me 5 hours and a half to get there. Seems I'm getting faster :-)

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 11 months ago #71470

5h1/2 to make a chassis 😲😲😲

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.