Keyword

TOPIC:

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73387

Initially, when I got my two 44B chassis, I was at my friend's place to get 2 cars I had a deal on since few months...

The first one is a Super Wheelie (7.2V, not the early version), with a Toytoa Land Cruiser body

The second one is a Big Bear, with Lunchbox wheels (unfortunately, I don't have the chance to get one with nice original tires).

I wanted those cars to model the chassis. And now that I have some ideas on how to proceed for the body shell, I may even do that.

I tore down the Super Wheelie this afternoon, as the project box I was using for the Ninja got free this morning.

The chassis is fairly simple. There is more parts on the bodyshell than on the chassis itself :-)

At the end (it was definitely very quick to get it in parts), this is the content of my box...

The Big Bear should follow at some point as well...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, AndyAus, Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73388

The Big Bear spent some time on operation table... 

It was even quicker than for the Super Wheelie.

All is now in the box. I've not tore down the bodyshell, this will be for later...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, Al

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73389

Nice xmas projects

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73394

The chassis is quite simple compared to most of the chassis I dealt with earlier on.
2 sketches, few extrusions and a shell, and we get the front idea already in.

Then we have to do some cuts

After that, I added the rear battery support...

Next is to deal with all the fixation and features of this chassis...
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73400

And the work continued in the afternoon...

I first focus on the front end

Then worked out the rear end and the center

Looking at the measurement precisely, the conclusion is that both chassis I have are 6V versions, which means they are Super Wheelies. The Big Bear was always a 7.2V version... That being said, both gearbox are coming from 7.2V  cars as they include a metal plate... In short, both cars are made from parts...

Here is the 6V chassis completed... (I will have to get the pictures of a 7.2V chassis and measurements to get the 7.2V chassis version).

While doing this, I noted down a chassis deformation on the right side, probably due to the reinforcement on the left side (probably defined this way to protect the gearbox)... Definitely room for improvements...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73402

Few minutes later... I rechecked the pics and the second chassis is indeed a 7.2V... Fortunately, it is also in the box.

And the chassis is modeled in 7.2V version as well.

NB : antennae support added as well on 6V version.

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73407

As the main gathering for Xmas in my familly is today for the lunch, we had a bit of preparation, but it left me some time to work on some parts modelling...

I started by the Big Bear front arms...

The part design is a little bit cumbersome, but it's easy to get it right once you understand how it is made (observation matters, as usual). I'll have to print a section to check, but I'm almost sure it won't require any modifications... I completed with hardware and joints, and the mirror parts.

Then I switch to the front arms of the Super Wheelie... It's definitely easier to get than the Big bear arm...

The design of the knuckle is similar to the big bear, with a few changes in measurements...

I don't know what I will do next: the gearboxes are still full of grease, and I'm a bit afraid to put them on the table, as my mother won't like this :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73412

As I had to do a detailed post on the chassis différences for another forum  :

In practice, Hump packs 7.2V did not work with the 6V Super Wheelie (1983), because of the bodyshell which was not allowing room for the additional cell over the battery. This chassis was revised in 1984 for the Big Bear, and the revision was later applied in 1985 for the second iteration of the Super Wheelies...

Here is the pics of the 2 chassis together :

On the Big Bear and Super Wheelie reedited, the battery room has been extended on the side, with a different position for the wire cut-outs as well. There was also additional holes prepared (presented drilled on the shemas) to fix the steering servo (on the first super wheelies, it was fixed with double face tape)...

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73416

In the evening, I took the gearbox parts on the desk. I'll take care of the gears later on, but for the time being, i'm only taking care of the gearbox case...

With the 7.2V, Marui introduced a metal plate of .5mm taken in sandwich between both side of the gearbox. I've started by this part. I question myself about using Canvas mode and and I did not use it as the design is quite simple. I may use a canvas at some point to check the design.

The I took car of the left side. The design is easily derived from the motor plate, so it's easy.

Next I took care of the right casing, which is slightly more complex, because it will require to do some independant bodies and cut them before joining them to the gearbox casing...

At the end, I have  the gearbox...

Next I'll complete the gearbox with the rear arms so I have complete suspension, and I'll do this for the Super Wheelie first and then the Big Bear...

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 year 3 months ago #73421

This morning, I decided to start working on the Super Wheelie rigid axle assembly. I'll tackle the Big Bear one later.

First, I completed the gearbox with the motor (no gears yet), and the motor cap. All those part are in the common Gearbox file.

Then I opened a new file, as it is time to create a Super Wheelie fork for the rigid axle assembly (Big Bear will have its own).

Before starting to make the arms, I tackled the wheelie bar (there is none on the Big Bear, I'll have to see later on). This part is weird, it seems it was designed while second thinking and not having the plans in mind. Logically, you would make all the profiles concentric, and it is not.

The other face is directly derived from the first one...

I quickly add the rollers on those

And then I simplified the parachute (I may come back later on this one).

And now it is time to tackle the arms. I started with the left one. The design again is quite simple and easy to read and reproduce, specially when you have the other parts around.

For the right arm, I took the left one, made a mirror, removed whatever was not needed and added the specificities, based on the motor cap holes projection...

And here is the main components of the rigid axle..

Next step : take care of the same elements for the Big Bear...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.