Keyword

TOPIC:

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73770

Hi everyone,

After the Spirit FF which have a lot in common with the Vantage FF (I got the data for it, so it should be possible to do it at some point), and both Midships and Pegasus Exceed, if I want to complete the chassis collection, I have 2 which I need to tackle...

Fortunately, one guy proposed me two cars recently, and they were the two missing cars missing in the Nichimo buggy range :

A Cosmo Shooter - 2WD  - kit n°6, with its box, and complete (the driver is in one of the boxes)

A Luminous - 4WD - kit n°5 without the box and the bodyshell, and a broken steering servo...

I check the instruction manuals, the construction is modular, and even lot of pages in the manual are the same... My target is to model both chassis, and add them to my virtual Nichimo collection :)

Workplan :
- tear down
- CAD model of common things
- CAD model of 2WD specific parts
- CAD model of 4WD specific parts

I can already tell there is lot also in common with the 4 other kits, even without having tore them down...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, Lemsko, mirrorman, GToddC5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73773

Congrats marc. 

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73810

I can confirm the Luminous is indeniably a Nichimo : there is a **** lot of screws to get it down to parts...

I will need to do the same for the Cosmo Shooter, but I will proceed to the cleaning of the parts of the Luminous first. It's much more confortable to model clean parts :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, mirrorman

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73811

The parts look ok still - congrats on the good find. 

Look forward to seeing this complete. 

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73813

Parts are in nice state... And the materials seems very different from the 3 others I have in hands already... more flexible, so probably more resistant...
That being said, the target is to do a model, with printable parts, and I'm not sure I'll rebuild it (it all depends about my mood at the end of the modelling, and what I want to do with this car ultimately, but for the first time, I don't have plans currently post the CAD model)...
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko, mirrorman

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 1 month ago #73852

While the gearbox print test is in progress for the Super Wheelie/Big Bear, I did some cleaning on the Luminous parts...

Ultrasonic cleaner, water and dish soap, 50°C, 30 minutes bath with 10 minutes ultrasonic waves activated...

Parts look almost like new... I've not cleaned anything on the transmission parts (for most, I don't need to model them as I have the front and rear diff from the Spirit FF and the LSD (limited Slip Differential) from the 443WDS)...
That should allow me to work on the Luminous CAD model very soon...
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, mirrorman, GToddC5

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 1 month ago #73886

When I went back from the office, the Luminous were sitting next to my computer with the caliper...

I started by the rear gearbox...
Measured the overall length, positioned the center hole, then the diff hole, and derived the rest from there... The distance between the two key holes is the same than on the Spirit FF and Exceed front gearbox, unsurprisingly...

Once the right side was done, I did a mirror and worked out the left side

Once there, I had a few checks, and I noticed that the shell thickness is variable : it should 12.25 mm deep in the center (1.75m thickness) while the rest is 2mm thick. I check on the front gearbox, and it is 12mm deep in the center (like on the Spirit and Exceed, so it should not be an issue, really - just have to make it proper in shimming). I still need to make everything that close the gearbox and complete it, in both 4WD and 2WD as while thoe part are common, some are distinct between the two models in the gearbox...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, GToddC5

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 1 month ago #73897

I spent the night sleeping with an issue in mind, I didn't now where it was when going to bed...

Today, I checked. The diff had not enough clearance based on what I see with the diff in the gearbox : the diameter had to be bigger inside, and the thickness is not in cause. This means the diameter is wrong. And the diameter is made from the center position and the extreme point which is 100% sure. My center position is wrong then : and the mistake is because a sign in the calcul of the position of this hole. The spacer is shorter in the gearbox than for the Exceed, that should have ring the bell...

Anyway corrected the sketch and had a look again... And it became clear that my tangent arc is not right, as we have likely a double curve as the diameter is bigger, which means as well the tangeant on the circle is taken lower...

it's the same, but different :-). I'll have to get a print to see if I can reproduce the exact spline on the top, but it's not too much important...
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, Lemsko, GToddC5

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 1 month ago #73936

Did not post much those days... Lack of motivation it seems, plus a bit too much of work in the office...

Anyway, yesterday, I worked on the front gearbox left side...
I started by putting all the key measurements in a single sketch, did a few extrusions, chamfer, and lofts, and I had my part ready to shell...

On the other side, I had this...

I first worked the inside...

Then move to the other side... The suspension supports remain to do...

And that was quite fast to do...

The right side was started with a mirror from the left, were I did rework whatever was required using extrusions... 

And here is:

I'm not sure what I tackle next yet...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 1 month ago #73941

Nichimo Luminous and Cosmo Shooter arms are prone to deformation including for display usage, and this even if the wheels are not touching the ground... All of them are deformed. I did model them without the deformation, and that is where we are all superior to any scanner which would have included the deformation without even considering that as an issue...

I started by the front

Then made a copy paste as new to change the few measures required to be changed plus review the following operations to make a rear arm. That took me about 5 minutes...

C-hub and carriers were easy to do with a limited number of sketch for each...

On the suspension it remains the upper arms and steering arms to model, as well the pivot balls and joints...

Speaking about suspension, I made the shock tower which comes on the front gearbox... It's a bit complex, and required a bit more than 10 sketches to get there (I might have done less, maybe, but I've been lazy :-) )

The fact is this part allowed me to check and review the position of the shock tower fixation on the gearbox, which was the only doubt I had...
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, mirrorman

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.