Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32464

Hi People,

Been away for a while due through ill health, i had to stay indoors for a longer period so i had time to finish some projects, here's one i'd like to share.
I'm very fund of riding trials with scalers and i build a few of them, not being able to really go out on the trial i decided to build something different.

My idea started a few years ago when i ran into this pic:

It has a lot of styleconcepts going on, Ratrod, bare metal finish, even some steampunk features, having some
'don't know what to do with it' parts i gave it a go.

I had this body, maker unknown, i think it's homemade by somebody, scale is around 1/9, and it's poorly made.

I wanted to give it a very rigid chassis, the trails i normally drive are not for the faint hearted so it has to
perform, it has G-made axles and tranny, Junfac driveshafts and a homemade chassis from strong aluminium, the
links are homemade also with Traxxas ballends, all bolts and nuts are stainless steel:

The steampunk i love, so there has to be rivets, not functional in any way, the whole thing was ment as a styleconcept
and fun, so don't look for any 'real' features:

I tried to shape it so it would appear to look lower and meaner, leaving any suggestion of a door out helps:

Now it looks lower and i made some weldseams like it was topchopped by Billy Joe Bob in a hurry, and also made
it look like the fenders were welded on:

Next up paint, after a good sanding 2 layers of primer, a clear one for plastics followed by the normal grey primer,
after that satin black as a base, i planned a rust / bare metal look with the hairspraymethod as i explained in another
topic:

After that clouding it up with different shades off metal, silver and aluminium, on some spots mixed with some clear smoke
to give it depth:

Then some clear gloss, to protect the layers from the abuse to follow:

The 'welded on' part of the roof got a rusty look with some shades of rust:

Then the fenders got a fading paint look, blue over primer red:

Picking out the details with oilpaint, the bare metal parts are buffed with graphite to get the metal shine:

A very basic interior with Tamiya's own Willy, remember it is ment to really drive so i can't make to much of it,
it will not survive a roll if there's to much detail, poor Willy had to be cut to pieces and put in another pose
to fit in the space:

Bringing it all together:

Out and about:

That's it, hope you like it and remember it's made for a laugh but it drives very good on the trial, go figure....
I had so much fun building and painting it that i decided to do it again for a show in februari, this time onroad and
all parts Tamiya, i allready started it and it has a TA03 (ish) chassis and a Blitzer body, if this kind of builing is not
to extreme for you guys i will also make a step by step here.

Thanks for watching and all the best! Cheers Rick
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Jonny Retro, Edou, TommieG, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rick vS.

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32468

Outstanding work there Rick :y:

... if I could make one criticism it's that it's too shiny for my taste, but then I've seen that in 1:1 rat rods too - really deep, thick shiny lacquer over old bare metal & it just doesn't look right to me, it needs flatting back.

I'd definitely like to see a thread on your next build - and I also see some scope for some pieces for the "Articles" section here too - your "weldseams", bare metal paint effects, rust & faded paint effects, maybe an introduction to airbrushing in general - I know I'd like to read those.

I know some people are put off contributing but you really don't need to know HTML, watermarking & so on, larbut does the technical side of it & I'm willing to be a subeditor/picture editor. PM me (or you can go direct to Lars) if you're interested :)

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32471

:woohoo: Awesome Rick!
You made a really nice work on this body. I love the out of grange lost project effect. Felicitations :y:

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32473

Very nice work. +1 on the tech articles from me. :y:

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32475

Thanks Guys,

Very happy with the replies, and i don't mind criticism, i have a long history in militairy modelling and i sometimes miss those juryrapports B)
The shine was brought on by buffing it with graphite, after a few runs the shine is gone and it leaves a old metal glow, then it's on it's best in my taste, it really has that worn look then.

I would love to make a few 'howto's' i have my own forum in my native language, some people got motivated to do these things seeing a step by step in normal language with materials you can pick up at your local hobby store, you just have to make a start.
I allready made a SBS about the hairspray method painting process.

I've been ill and because of that a lot off unfinished stuff is laying around, but after the holidays i will give it a go, starting out with a simple airbrush explanation.

I have to finish some stuff for a modellingexpo in februari, one of the things is the Blitzer Hotrod, i will post it here also, what would be nice is when you could edit the text, english is not my native language and i guess i make some spellingmistakes.

Thanks, :y: Rick

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32477

Most Excellent :y:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32481

:) A step by step topic could be very interesting. Like Jonny ones.

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32483

I'm loving the rat look :) and hoping you are talking about Brighton as the model expo in Feb as love going there, though my better half and kids usually need a bit of persuasion to go before thoroughly enjoying themselves while there.

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32485

I wish i did, the venue is in my own country Holland.
In my militairy modelling days i visited a lot of expo's, Euromilitaire in Folkestone always stood out for me, nice very kind people and they made you feel at home.
Worth a visit even you if don't have anything to do with militairy modelling, the best of the best from around the world will be there.

Steampunk (ish) Ratrod Bug Crawler / Scaler 9 years 3 months ago #32486

I'll just chime in with the others and say: Excellent work!

To me the gloss (looks semi-gloss) finish is spot on and according to what I've seen done on real cars. (clear coating on top of rust, old paint, etc)

Regarding articles: I would love to have have a few and publish here on TB. We can arrange for proof-reading and you don't have to worry about HTML or any other technical bits. Basically I need a text and the pictures, in some kind of electronic format, then I can manage from there.

Or, you can use the forums, as now :-)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.