Keyword

TOPIC:

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65135

index

page 1 - introduction, chassis, gearing
page 2 - 380 motors, steering options
page 3 - simple steering test success, bodywork Cardboard Aided Design
page 4 - rear cab build basics, 1:1 reference pics
page 5 - more rear cab, starting front cab
page 6 - front cab floor, roof panels, fuel tanks, front cab back panel details, front cab seats, front cab rear end details
page 7 -  making round lights & lenses, front cab front end details
page 8 - making side lights, front cab "interior", rear cab back end details
page 9 - rear cab exterior complete, interior, dismantling for paint, basic paint, starting window rubbers
page 10 - painting driver, reflective & hazard warning decals, final build & fitting side markers, birds nest wiring, East Anglian Mountain Rescue decals
page 11 - wiring improvements, first test of LED lights, unnoticed haiku
page 12 - cabs hooked up

I’ve been gathering bits & reference material for this project for some time, TBH I’ve been putting it off & doing small things instead, especially recently, but of all the things I have in mind, this is one of the simpler ones as at least the chassis’ are already there.  

Reference materials are a 1:43 scale model & mini magazine from the Hachette “Camions et Vehicules De Sapeurs-Pompiers” part work, and a Tankograd special edition on European military versions of the Bv 206 “Husky".

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65136

A used Kyosho Blizzard Monster Tank arrived in June last year … 

Currently, the “Monster Tank” has two Tamiya Sport Tuned 380 motors, two ESCs** some steel weights in the nose, and an NIP Mtroniks V-tail “tank” mixer unit.

** Trident XT-20 ESCs (www.modelsport....cts/374108), which I hadn’t heard of, but appear to have 4.8 to 9.6v NiMH & 2S Lipo support, as well as optional forward/brake/double tap reverse, Forward/brake, and Forward/instant reverse -  the latter of which (if true) could make them a good option for the “steering” motors (see later)

Attachments:

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65137

failing to find a similar machine, I also bought an NIB Blizzard 2.0 “Ready Set” (prebuilt, and ARTR, just missing batteries*).

n.b. the rest of this is more of a manifesto than a firm commitment to do anything in a particular way ;) … and is already changing after I took some photos …  

* just 4x AA TX batteries, apparently, there was a 2200mAH 6N stick pack hiding in the box   

These look (and cost) quite different, but at least both have the same drivetrain – one 3n0 electric motor driving each track independently, as opposed to a single 5n0 electric motor or small IC engine with track braking.   

They don’t have the correct track form (the Hagglund wheelset having a triangular layout when viewed from the side), but I don’t propose to change it & will stick with the proven drivetrain.

TBH I think if I’ve got a pair of close coupled short wheelbase tracked vehicles with boxes approximately the right shape, people are either going to recognise it as an attempt at a Hagglund or not know what it is anyway.  Paint I suspect will be orange.   

The Blizzard 2.0 has the stock RE360 (I think) motors & a black box, I assume containing an RX and ESCs, or possibly a board containing all those functions. It also has a servo to operate the snow plow, so that will become the front chassis.  

I’m assuming the current radio gear won’t do what I need it to – no separate additional controls for the plough, lights, so have a Flysky 6channel set on the way – it’ll be handy for other projects if turns out I don’t need it.   

Hopefully I’ll be able to sell off the new body, 380 sport tuned motors & radio gear - though not the Monster Truck body, due to it getting broken after the whole thing threw itself of a shelf several times :whistle:  

I will have to count all the gears to make sure they are all the same, but assuming they are, having 4 matching motors is going to be essential. I have 4 Tamiya 380 motors from Grasshopper kits, I doubt the pinion is the same so they will have to come off.   

I’m not sure about bearings, I will have to check the size & condition of what’s there, but ATM I believe I need _56_ 840 bearings :blink:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, Al, jord001

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65138

Steering angle on the prototype is changed by a hydraulic ram between the two units, I hope to be able to achieve something similar by having a fixed length coupling on one side, and an electrically driven screw arrangement on the other. 

I’ve bought an MFA/Como Drills combined motor gearbox, it’s a “NICHIBO” brand 540 sized motor which will run on 4.5 to 15v & a 6:1 reduction gearbox. The output shaft is 6mm OD, so will need an adaptor making to take it down to match the ID of an SRB UJ (in case you were wondering where Tamiya came in on this build ;)) & fixing to a length of M8 (or M10) studding.

I will drive the motor off an MSC (or possibly just contact switches)***, any needed speed/power changes that become apparent during design/dry build phase can be made by changing the voltage supply, or a higher turn motor.

edit: from just placing the chassis end to end & “modelling” what one fixed side & one motorised would look like (i.e. vasty increase turning circle when going left), it’s evident having two motorized sides working in opposition would look a lot better, so have ordered another unit.

*** ESCs might be an option, especially if those “free” XT20s will do what’s promised

It would be nice to improve the turning circle by slowing down the inner tracks, I think that could be possible with the tank mixer.  
 Bodywork is going to be in 0.75mm styrene to save weight where possible, probably no interior & smoked windows either.

Pajero wheelie for size comparison :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, the11th, jord001

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65141

I am fan Jonny. And I love these tracked rc. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65145

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Totally left field idea, love it.

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65146

I investigated the geartrain on both, on the 2nd hand Monster tank chassis it's:
   - an 18T, 48 dp pinion with a 2.3mm ID ;
  - a first reduction gear with a 56T, 48 dp input & 16T, 32dp output;
  - 2nd reduction gear with 36T/32dp input, 16T/32dp output;
  - a 36T/ 32dp gear on one end of a shaft, with a 12T sprocket on the other end;
  - that sprocket drives a 18T sprocket by chain, and that sprocket drives a 8T drive wheel.

Bear in mind that's just for one side.

I really can't be bothered to work out the gear ratio, but it's pretty high. I didn't note the number of notches on the tracks, or their lengths so can't work out the speed either ;)

On the NIB Blizzard 2.0, it's all the same apart from the motor pinions are 16T, 48 dp with a 3.2mm ID and a brass 2.3mm adaptor "sleave" (sic) :)

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65148

Investigating the drivetrains showed up some postives and negatives  ...

On the 2nd hand chassis:

The motor screw slots on the moulded plastic "gear frame" have been absolutely butchered, all they really needed was the slots extending a tiny bit (if at all) to accomodate the slightly bigger pinion, but instead they've been badly drilled out at poor angles with the frame in situ ... particularly disgusted by this as it the was the work of moments to undo 3 self tapping screws, loosen one grub screw & remove one roadwheel to take the frame out :S

Having said that, I had to use pliers on the odd motor screws due to not having a nut driver small enough :whistle:

2nd hand wheel weights held in with cheap white foam tape - on the plus side they were very easy to remove.

Completely unnecessary (and, again, butchered) holes on one of the aluminium sides :S

Attachments:

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65149

On the plus side - rubber shielded metal bearings (I assume they've been used throughout, I didn't check):

On the new chassis, there's a proper 6channel 2.4ghz RX in the black box; the twin ESCs are also separate - but I would guess they don't have much of a current handling capability :whistle:

I checked the same places on the new chassis & found moulded black nylon "bearings".

Attachments:

Hagglund Bv206 Bandvagn / Husky from Kyosho EP Blizzard(s) 3 years 1 week ago #65158

I'm looking forward to see this build taking shape.

I saw loads of those when I was in the army in 98/99'. I was placed up north not that far way from Tromsø.
Even drove one of those up a steep hillside in the snow to test the capabilities.
For that ride I had to spend some time in the MP arrest, but that's another story..
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.