It's a beast!
Video plz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 5 years 10 months ago #50368

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Just blown away.
I’d add some suitable emojis, but it never seems to work on my iPhone.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 5 years 10 months ago #50374

Beggining to re-think the idea of having the body screw on to the chassis, especially as it needs two different sizes of hex driver, and one of them really needs to be a ball ended one (which I don't have in that size :whistle:) - I thought it would ever only need bolting up once so it didn't matter if it was fiddly... I'm now thinking it might be quicker to machine new standoffs with body posts (and use standard R clips) than fight it again :(

The unloader boom setup seems to be very fragile, despite upgrading to M8 fasteners - I leant on it a couple of times (once carrying it & once reaching over it), between that & readjusting it the horn/lever is completely loose on the shaft again, despite locking two nuts against each other (and crinkle washers) on both sides of it - time to dismatle again, this time I'll try nyloc nuts everywhere :S

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 5 years 10 months ago #50386

All back together & a second test drive - will go backwards ok on grass, but still not very far forwards, there's just too much drag under the cutting head. It's quite long & luch though, so I'm more hopeful it might be of some use later in the year when it's shorter/drier. So no vids until then at least :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 5 years 10 months ago #50394

Yep. That's my kind of farming.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 5 years 10 months ago #50483

Me standing in front of what I believe is a "Little grey Fergie" '53 Ferguson TE-20 (painted red) in Priory Park, Bodmin around Christmas 1975, so I would have been 3 and a bit. My dad is the one "driving" :whistle:

The tractor was a fixture there into the early 80s at least, the last time i went back was 1999 & IIRC it had gone :(

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999, Al

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 4 years 7 months ago #56403

Still keen on doing a ... Massey Ferguson 3680 tractor...

No actual progress on this, other than in the thinking department ... I still can't bear the idea of breaking up my perfectly good vintage clodbuster as a donor for this (plus it's just a bit too large), so I've come to the conclusion that using a Lunchbox (or similar, whatever's cheapest at the time) instead, and turning my own wheels to fit de-spiked Monster beetle pin spikes on the rear & narrowed Lunchbox tyres on the front.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 4 years 7 months ago #56404

And now, you have the perfect lathe to do rims ;p

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 4 years 7 months ago #56409

And now, you have the perfect lathe to do rims ;p

Yeah, I wouldn't really be thinking about it if I only had the Unimat, the tiny 1:12 Lotus Europa wheels were difficult enough...

The only question is how to do the milling for the rear (driven) hub fitting ... making the wheels the most like Tamiya suggests I make my own 12mm hubs (face 12mm hexagon bar & drill), the get some sort of milling horizontal milling attachment for the Boxford lathe & get as close to a 12mm hex as I can.

The alternative is make my own much bigger hubs & use the indexing wheel on the Boxford to locate multiple screw holes in the wheel & matching threads on the hub, and use the Unimat for the smaller/easier job of maching a slot for the pin through the axle. Another advantage of doing it that way is that I can use a much bigger mandrel through the wheels when making them (say 12mm rather than 4.9mm).

(It's less of a problem on the Lunchbox fronts, if Tamiya can get away with a 9.2mm minimum size through them, I'm sure I can manage at least close to that).

:)

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 4 years 7 months ago #56410

You maybe could use wt01 rims. They have monster beetle size and 12 mm hexa. And make full moon caps ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.