Keyword

TOPIC:

Adventures in painting 7 years 9 months ago #39079

I've been reading a lot of books on airbrushing & custom painting, most recently "How to Custom Paint Your Motorcycle" (JoAnn Bortles, Motorbooks, ISBN 0-7603-2033-0), and although that one might have been information overload for me (think firehose aimed at teacup) it did get me thinking - although I'm never going to be any sort of an artist, I can get better at the technical aspects of painting. Whenever I've pushed myself to improve or try new techniques, I've been pleased with the results - and there haven't been _that_ many failures along the way.

With that in mind - time to start experimenting. First subject, a lexan Pajero Rallysport shell. Thanks to being unloved _and_ 1cm over Royal Mail's "Small Parcel" size, it's just not worth putting it on eBay. That & a bunch of part-used Tamiya PS sprays & some liquid mask that I never really got on with before add up to experimenting with a blue/black fade - and flames :D I've always cut lexan shells out before painting in the past, this time I'm going to leave all the extra forming on until afterwards, so I get to answer that question (at least for myself) too.

Pajero shell has protective film on the outside, so I could drawn on that ... tape is on the outside at this point, so I can see the limits of the area I want to be covered by flames...

Window masks on (maybe prematurely), taped limits of area I want to use the liquid mask on - then two layers of the liquid mask itself..

Liquid mask fully dried & cut out on inside with with scalpel (& 10A blade), note lack of artistic talent ...

I still have some prep to do (more masking) then it'll be on to spraying the flames. Traditional hot rod flames fade to from red to yellow, i don't have any tamiya PS yellow to hand so will try something different - not quite sure just what yet ...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adventures in painting 7 years 9 months ago #39088

Made some quite rapid progress on this yesterday ... head & neck are aching & feeling pretty sick after breathing in too many fumes (getting too close on the red, and swirly wind patterns on the black), I'm thinking I do enough painting that I should look into getting a facemask with a forced fresh air supply ...

Moving on, what I'd planed for the flames was a metallic red/orange fade, but it didn't quite work like that ...

Masking the rest of the body - blue 3M tape seems a bit extravagant, but I've learned that cheap and/or inadequate masking gives a crap result ...

Orange PS going on ..

... and the red ...

... backed with silver.

With the blue tape gone & the rest of the liquid mask gone you can see the fade is a bit too subtle, and the colour isn't metallic at all. It's not horrible, but I can see why flames are traditionally red to yellow - and that aerosols put down a bit too much colour over too wide an area for a fade effect on this sort of scale - and if you try to reduce the pressure, you get splatter ... If I do it again, it'd really need to be airbrushed - and therefore need a different paint system.

Blue PS on - put on the roof & trailing edge of the bonnet (hood) as fine as I could ...

Two coats of PS black to finish - I think the fade worked reasonable well this time. Remember that the protective film is still on the outside of the shell at this point ...

... to be continued :) ...

Adventures in painting 7 years 9 months ago #39090

The result sounds good. And the stylized flames aren't so ugly.

Adventures in painting 7 years 9 months ago #39092

Cut the body out (quite easy as it's very thin & flimsy on most of the undercuts), detail decals stuck on, all holes drilled, remaining masking & outer film peeled, mirrors & spare wheel fitted ... I think it's come out quite well for an experiment :) Still too tall to qaulity as a "small parcel" :( but I'm tempted to put in up for sale now- I must have added some value ;)

Main body colour depends a lot on light level - first two are dim daylight, second two with flash:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: johndoubleday

Adventures in painting 7 years 9 months ago #39093

:) It's pretty nice :y:

Adventures in painting 7 years 9 months ago #39094

Never seen a Pajero with flames before!
Or are they a bunch of red rabbits :laugh: :laugh: :evil:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Adventures in painting 4 years 9 months ago #55569

Old thread but it feels like the right place to put this ...

This is a 1:18 diecast Fiat 500, bought in silver & chemically stripped, primed, then airbrushed with the idea of matching my Dad's "Fresh Mint" 1:1 version in time for Sunday .... it's been raining for the last 4 days so that now seems very unlikely, but I'm giving myself the best chance I can by converting the bathroom into a spray booth & hoping to get the colour (ratio of 2ml XF-2 White to 1 drop X-15 Light Green to 3 drops X-14 Sky Blue + 2ml X-20A Thinner) & possibly the Clear on today:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Adventures in painting 4 years 9 months ago #55573

Pretty nice painting room.

Adventures in painting 4 years 8 months ago #55731

Was in a bit of a rush to finish this for Father's day earlier in the month & only just managed to get a photo. As you can see his new toy is the newer version, but I did the best I could ... colour match is a lot better than the photos suggest :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Adventures in painting 4 years 8 months ago #55733

Love it!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.