Keyword

TOPIC:

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #60663

Peeled ...

... & decalled up - missing out anything TT/sponsor/racing related.

Will be sticking it on eBay at some point :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #60665

I like it.

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #60852

I don't have a chassis for this so it will end up on eBay at some point - but I have the urge to paint something teal (turquoise, whatever :) ). I've mixed up some more of my Wallace & Gromit "Anti-Pesto Van Satin Blue" to airbrush on.

It's a re-release buggy champ body with the bottom 10mm taken off all round so it looks less heavy, holes drilled for the driving lights on the sides, primed white & sprayed with VW Alpine White.

Roof has had the lighting tabs cut off, the panel on the top has been widened & had sides put on for mesh attachment & a visor panel added to the front.

Attachments:

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #60853

Another nice body :woohoo:

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #60862

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Adventures in painting 3 years 8 months ago #61088

Masked, and waiting for the poor weather to clear. I'm sure that rell of 3M blue tape is fake :(

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Adventures in painting 3 years 8 months ago #61093

Sure. A classic electric vynil tape sticks better... :S

Adventures in painting 3 years 8 months ago #61190

Sprayed the Buggy Champ body - the "new" compressor works fine, even if the noise is totally unacceptable for a semi-rural Sunday afternoon :whistle:. At least it filled the tank in less than a minute, and I only had to do it twice.

First up was a coat of flat clear just before lunch, followed by three coats of the "teal" mix after. Thunderflies were a real hazard. I used one of the DA siphon airbrushes (0.35mm) as it produces much finer droplets (and therefore less orange peel), but it isn't really appropriate for larger areas & I got a lot of overspray.

I took that off with 2500 grit wet & dry, then finished with one of the SA badger fakes (0.8mm). This time I had to worry about flying ants - over about 5 minutes they came up out of the ground & looked like they were "boiling" on the patio & grass. after another 5 minutes, they took off after some unseen signal & headed off southwestwards. After another 5 minutes it was all over.

Taking the tape off, the masking had only failed in one area, and I made that much worse by trying to "fix" it :whistle: I've used Kyosho 0.7mm tape on the edges & will clear over it all at some point :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Adventures in painting 3 years 8 months ago #61193

I love this blue. And the lining gives a super finish.

Adventures in painting 3 years 8 months ago #61197

Take a look at this :S

Not just the orange peel, but it looks like I used 120 grit paper to finish. I don't know how I managed to A) make it look this bad , and B) why It only showed up after what was a quite heavy, second coat of clear had cured overnight.

There should be enough there to rub out out, but there isn't. I can only think the colour coat was super absorbent & sucked it all up.

I've put another heavy coat of clear on in the hope it'll fill in the gaps.
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.