Keyword

TOPIC:

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61201

I had the same matter on bodies. Maybe a paint reaction with the clear.especially on a hard body. That did like a xmas sparkle.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61217

I did wonder if it was the clear that was the issue (bought on eBay after I couldn't get any new from Halfords), but the Wheeler body hasn't had the same issues ... I've hit it again with a couple more heavy coats of clear & it's somewhat better :)

Moving on, doing that Wheeler has made me realise I quite miss restoring stuff, even if most of the tiem I'm totally priced out of the market (even before the Covid-19 premium).

A couple of (relatively) cheap SRB bodies came up on eBay, I'm thinking of taking my "Blue Max" project back to a mule that I can use for putting various bodies on when i feel like it, because it really isn't doing anything for me just sitting on the shelf...

The first one is a vintage Parma Chenowth polycarbonate body (along with what look like Ranger front wheels, plus Rough Rider rears & a hump pack) for just over 20 GBP :)

nb, seller's pics, it hasn't arrived yet.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61218

2nd one, a vintage Scorcher shell with almost none of the detail parts left, glass that may or may not (probably not) polish up, really thick paint & lots of fibreglass repairs ... price tag 30 GB. I hope I can make something out of it, but if it's 2K paint that "something" will be to chuck some decals on it & get rid of it ASAP.

Again, seller's pics:

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61237

The Lexan body arrived... It's been very badly cut ot with lots of stress cracks where corners had been left square. There's evidence off where someone's tried to strip the paint off before - several areas of cloudiness & full thickness crazing :S

The paint looks to be aerosolled PS- or very similar, unfortunately very well bonded. I spent about 3 hours yesterday using Detailed Online Tar & Glue Remover from the rear quarter of one side.

I did find that it says "TMS" on the back - so not the Parma body I thought it was.

TL;DR - juice not worth the squeeze.

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61239

Red Beetle just arrived, packed in rubbish & the paint is still outgassing :S :blink:

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61242

I've tried scuffing the surface of the paint on the Lexan body before using the Tar & Glue Remover & it's upgrade the process from "not worth it" to "viable if I've got nothing better to do while things are buzzing in the ultrasonic tank" - so we'll see :)

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61248

You can try the non aceton nail remover on the lexan. It can be easier.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61253

Appreciate the thought - but I already had the Tar & Glue Remover :)

I don't know if it was a great use of a Saturday, but I've got all the paint off ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61254

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Adventures in painting 3 years 9 months ago #61258

Wahhoo. Nice result.
But what is TAR?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.