Keyword

TOPIC:

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39105

I spotted this unfinished project on eBay - as you can see it started out as a vintage Sand Scorcher body, and if you can look past the dirt & grot, it's had quite a lot of interesting (and involved) detail work done on it - chopped & smoothed rear end, doors bulked out & showing insides, fuel filler capcut out & boxed in, partial wheelwells, etc etc. It looks like it became a test piece for various paint effects & colours, before finially beaing abandoned to the dust & creepy crawlies.

I also bought an unfinished steel sand rail from the same seller, and (partially) because they were listed separately - but more because I _wanted_ them to fit together (i.e. not the sellers' fault at all) I assuemd they would - and of course, seeing them together it's obvious I was completely wrong on that score. ...

_However_, as the SRB chassis is very floppy without the bracing effect of a shell fitted (and/or top plate, a la Super Champ), it makes sense to have a metal chassis - so it wasn't quite as daft a buy as it first appears. It has great patina, so once I've cut off the cage, ground back some of the pigeon poo welding & waited for the fresh bits to rust up again, I'll try to preserve it rather than strip, de-rust & repaint it.

The first job though will be to wash the body tub down, and try and sand off as much of the paint & primer as possible ... after that, I have a re-re Scorcher body set that will donate the bonnet (hood) and nose, obviously it needs a windscreen surround, roll cage, driver & minimal interior, a floor, some way of holding the body on, and of course SRB front & rear ends. It would be nice to get a decent donor chassis for this, but I'm looking at my "Budget Bug" build in the meantime... I'm hoping modern electrics (2.4ghz RX & small ESC) can be hidden under the bonnet, maybe even a small capacity 2S Lipo battery too :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39107

:woohoo: another beautifull project...

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39115

That looks like a really nice basis for your project.
I've rebuilt two 1:1 Beetles (tear down into atoms, and back up again) in the past, and that body looks pretty similar to the real thing. :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39116

... obviously it needs a windscreen surround....

Not necessarily... B)

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39117

Not necessarily... B)

Lars, you made this Bug??? :y:

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39122

Not necessarily... B)

That could work :y:

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39125

Cage cuf off the chassis, worst welds ground down (though not completely), shiny bits wetted & table salt dabbed on to try to encourage rusting to match ...

In the meantime I've shuffled lots of SRB bit around - the rear cage is a must as the proportions loked wrong without it, though the body will need modifying to make space for the pipe joints & rear dampers.

I'm not 100% sold on the front cage - but I needed something to hold the nose in place :whistle: The Pajero wheelie wheels/tyres look better than the standard Scorcher wheels so they may well stay. I'm also fairly settled on the paint too - I've been wanting to do a faded out, aged blue for some time, this seems like the perfect place for it. I'm also thinking that the "new" body sections (bonnet & nose) should be a darker, shinier blue.

Lots of work ahead - the idea is the easy bit :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39126

:y: I lov it

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39127

I'm really impressed with the amount of work the PO put in to the interior detailing of that body, It's a shame they never completed it. Luckily for us it has ended up with you JR & I'm sure the final result will be wonderful :) I'm not sure why however you are persisting with that metal chassis :blink: considering how much will actually be seen, Why not just Use a FRP SRB chassis :huh:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 9 months ago #39138

Steel chassis extends the wheelbase to 40mm longer than stock, which means extending the body. The obvious place to do it would be at the B-pillar (i.e. behind the doors), so I'm going to extend the bonnet instead & have made a start on that, butchering a previously NIP re-release Scorcher body to do so :y:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.