Keyword

TOPIC:

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 6 months ago #40902

Been working on more details, I'm not sure how much of the floor will actually be visible in the end ...

Next task is to work on the boring stuff like body fixings & where the electrics are going to go, then I can work on the seating :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 5 months ago #41538

Putting all the electrics under the bonnet seemed like a good idea - until I realised that would mean having to take out the front seats, driver & steering column to disconnect the battery :silly:

A redesign is in order - I'll put the battery under the rear seat instead ... at some point in the future, I just can't find the motivation to do any more work on this ATM :(

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, AndyAus

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 5 months ago #41544

Looks to be a challenge to keep the excellent scale looks and still get room for the electronics?
Any plans for where to hide the cabling?
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 5 months ago #41546

Maybe bewteen the floor and the chassis?????

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 2 weeks ago #43036

Had another go at this, ESC & receiver will still have to go under the front somewhere, but the rear seat comes out & has space for a 1300mAH 2S Lipo under it :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, AndyAus, Lemsko

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 1 week ago #43095

Parts primed & rubbed down ... ordinarily I'd respray the grey where it's rubbed through - but this is mean to look a bit rough so I'll leave it ...

Body airbrushed with a mix of Sky Blue & Flat Clear:

Faded effect was intially the base colour mixed with a lot of white, then a light touch of white ...

Colour is far too even, so I rubbed it back (including deliberately through the layes) a little:

Still more to do (washes etc) ...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 5 days ago #43162

Still toying with the idea of stencilwork of an actual Blue Max medal on the doors, but for now this is pretty much finished - including a quick test drive, indoors on carpet. Acceleration seems a bit blunted - could be all that extra weight, or maybe just the gearing ... 3-point turns are more like 15-point turns :whistle:

Power plug can be hidden under the dash, but it (& the battery side connector & cable) are very visible in use ... I fitted the ESC on/off switch in the dashboard:

Underside of the body could do with being matched to the chassis a bit better ....

I wanted something to mark the whippy end of the antenna & the flag of Gabon seemed appropriate... I couldn't find a small enough one, so made it myself - 50:50 PVA/water mix on a bit of old cotton shirt, painted & stitched on :)

This is where I started:

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 5 days ago #43165

Very cool JR, More designed for straight line speed than turning :P
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 7 years 5 days ago #43169

The rusted chassis is great for a rat rod
Street hot rod :y:

Open Top VW Bug / SRB project ? 3 years 4 months ago #62738

Well it popped up on a FB forum with a bit more weathering ;)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.