Keyword

TOPIC:

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63146

Hi all,
i want to recreate my most loved car from the past. I got the idea watching Wesmade´s channel on Youtube. Originally a friend of mine offered to laser cut the parts (ribs etc) in ABS for me. That didnt work out due to him being under lot of workload. FabLabs are either closed or are busy producing stuff for hospitals. Hamburg is now again in full lockdown.
So i switched to Balsa wood, all the remaining rests i had from various aircraft projects. Rib layout is a little bit narrow for balsa, but nothing big.
Idea is to build the body now in wood, see if it works. It wont need that much strength, since it wont be the playable body anyway and only need to be the form for a silicon mold. The end result should be a vacuum formed lexan car body .
Basic concept:

The inner box only is for supporting the ribs, so i used all the waste i still had collected and put a simple box together to hold the ribs. Looks like badword, but it will do the job. Will be removed in the end anyway:

Ribs waiting for glue to dry and will be fitted the next days. After that i will be planking the cage with wood like a ship builder would do:

If all works out, i plan to do a 2nd version, this time a mountain race version owned by Hans Exner:

For the bodyi bought a cheap M-02L chassis, which i plan to modify this way, thx to a tip from a guy over at scratchbuilder forum, since i need a 225mm wheelbase for the Simca. 1st idea was to cut a string out and glue everything back together, his idea is much better, since i dont need to destroy anything and could later, if i decide to buy a better and more modern chassis for the Simca, use it for a Volvo PV544 or a P1800.

This is a maiden voyage for me, so no clue if it will be showable at the end, but i am sure i learn a lot on the way.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, TamiyafanTrieste, ninos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lemsko.

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63150

This should be a good, I marvel at the effort required to build all the moulds. Look forward to the updates :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63151

Thank you.

"If a hammer is your only tool, all problems start to look like nails"
The following user(s) Liked this: TamiyafanTrieste

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63152

Agreed - making a buck is art, building a vacform machine is "merely" engineering. Looking forward to this :)

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63153

Agreed - making a buck is art, building a vacform machine is "merely" engineering. Looking forward to this :)

I planed to do this, but it turned out i dont need to. B)

I got into contact with a local RC club and 1 guy offered me to use his vacuum former....in return i am currently building a simple 3d model like the Simca for him, a Mitsubishi L200.

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63154

Very nice work lem. Sure that it will be perfect
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63158

i am in!! I love scratchbuild cars!! modify untill you die
The m02L is the best chassis to begin, childrens rc car body's fit to it

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko

Last edit: by poebe.

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63159

very nice pickup

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63160

Where did you find this body? A friend of mine is looking for the same hilux version.

Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe scratchbuild 3 years 3 months ago #63188

It starts to take shape
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, ninos

Last edit: by Lemsko.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.