Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71183

• irondog
  • irondog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi all, I've finished painting the blue color and, as expected, got some paint under the masking... As I'm quite scared of ruining everything, can you help me and giving some good advices on how to fix them "in the right way"? Thank you!
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71186

First off, well done for actually tackling it, rather than not, or doing half a job with the eBay vinyl sides :y:

Are those all the problems you have, or are your photos just illustrative? I'd hope for a few less on my paint jobs, but TBH it's not too bad :)
Are you planning to edge the divisions between blur & white? Kyosho Micron 1mm or even 0.7mm tape hides quite a few sins ;)

First thing to do is nothing - and continue doing that for as long as you can bear it. A week is good, a month is better - you really want to give the paint a chance to harden rather than smear it around..

I've annotated your photos, advice for each # follows :)

Honestly, these will be a bit tricky, I'd do #3 first - but when you come to it, use fine (at least 1200 grit, rubbed together to take the harshness off) wet & dry, wet, stuck to or wrapped around some sort of former (thin bit of plastic, thin round tube, end of a fine paint brush etc) to very gently take of as much of the offending blue as you can, don't try to take it right to the edge, that's what line tape is for ;) 

3 - same as 1 & 2 really, just a bit more accessible :)

4, 5 - there are variants of the Scorcher (in blue/white) in various official Tamiya literature with black, or silver sills ... brush paint XF-85 Rubber Black or use aluminium tape & claim you were doing one of those variations all along :D 

6 - just paint over with the light colours. I'd do all three portions with XF-16 Flat Aluminium & then the relevant bits with multiple coats of Clear Red and Clear Orange

7 - Tricky. Might be a combination of sanding, spraying a bit of blue into the cap & carefully brush painting to fill in, black like tape, and /or hoping the rest comes out so good that no-one really notices.

Sanding will obviously leave some of the white bits a bit flat, and any line tape can look a bit stuck on - so spray Clear over the lot :y:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: irondog, jord001

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71187

Very nice result. You can grit softly with a scalpel and make touches of white with a tiny pen brush. But honnestly except for the hood, I would keep it like that. And you can paint the doors bottom in rubber black like the real beetle. 
I am not a good painter. Other guys should have better advices😊
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71234

• irondog
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Guys thank you so much for the replies, especially the "very detailed" Jonny one!
Regarding Jonny questions:
1) these are the different types of issues I have, in total I have about 10 issues to address if I'm counting correctly... not good, not bad as you say, just need to fix them!
2) I was not thinking of using these micro tapes to "hide" errors, honestly I did not even know about them... we are always in the learning curve!
3) I will do nothing for the next couple of months probably as I do not have time for this bad guy, bit it's a good thing as far as I understand
4) one question about the tip of spraying clear on top in order to restore the brightness: do I have to spray before or after decals? I am inclined to spray BEFORE.... 

Thanks!

Last edit: by irondog.

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71238

I've sprayed clear over decals in the past, I think the result was just too shiny, so it's always colours -> line tape -> clear -> paint details -> decals for me now :) 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71246

You'll get lots of different opinions on this topic.  I always clear over the top of the stickers.  My theory is that this helps hold the edges down and keep from peeling.  It also offers a minimum amount of UV resistance.
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71353

You'll get lots of different opinions on this topic.  I always clear over the top of the stickers.  My theory is that this helps hold the edges down and keep from peeling.  It also offers a minimum amount of UV resistance.

I do exactly the same
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71359

I also apply clear over the decals.

Did my custom 4x4 Lunchbox about 14 years ago and decals is still as day one.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, irondog

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71467

• irondog
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Car completed! Thanks for the great advices, I would rate this car similar to the 959.... At the end I sprayed on decals trying to prevent them... Time will judge!

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, AndyAus, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Sand Scorcher paint touching advice 1 year 11 months ago #71468

Looks good :y: B)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.