Keyword

TOPIC:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52174

"Jaffa" self adhesive felt turned out to be a lot brighter than illustrated by the supplier, after sticking it on a sheet of styren & drawing out the tile divisions I toned it down with red primer & dirtied it up with satin black:

Ceiling tile(s) installed, lights ditto & wiring bodged up - still some more bits to go in & some repositioning needed, but I'm quite happy with the office space so far:

:)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52175

Perfect

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52182

last of the bits & bobs are back from the shed after outgassing following all the aerosols ... still need to give the "wood" parts (pallets, shelving) a base coat of airbrushed XF-57 Buff, also waiting on an order of X-28 Park Green so I can airbrush the barrels & jugs.

Roller door/frame is complete & is now clamped on to the right end wall waiting for the glue to set.

Fire buckets are complete, resin "water" has sunk a bit in the middle & not all the air bubbles burst, I probably need to think about some sort of vacuum chamber (even if it's just a jar and a Hoover) if I do it again) also not sure about the colour - I know clear would have looked wrong, but this looks like Willy & his colleagues has been throwing badword butts in there; "Sand" (actually recycled glass grit blasting media) is still wet with white PVA glue - which is why it looks more like porridge in the photo :whistle:

:)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: oldwilly, stingray-63, goldfish999, Al

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52189

Awesome stuff Jonny, watching this thread progress with interest.

On the resin idea, I’ve found the vacuum needed is way past what a hoover could achieve, off the top of my head I’m sure my cheap chamber and pump gets down to 30psi/w bar. I’ll have to check that though as I cannot picture the gauge.

What I do for small quantities though is use a syringe, at 1/3 capacity I can block the end and retract the plunger, it draws out the bubbles from the resin (pre mixing) It’s not perfect but when held in place then released it a few times it’s far better than out the bottle.

Hope that helps.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52206

EModels have generally been the best value and reliable way of getting Tamiya X and XF paints in semi-bulk of late (even if they took an inexplicable extra day or two to send them), however this time, despite ordering before 1000 on Tuesday, all I've had from them thus far (Saturday am) is a rather smug email saying how well they were doing and thanking me for being so understanding about them being several days behind :whistle: Anyway, that's the reason the barrels and jugs are in X-3 Green (which I already had) rather than X-28 Park Green ... possibly closer to the "heritage" Castrol green rather than the "modern" one, so (again possibly) not a bad thing ...

"Wood" parts are all "Buff"ed up too :)

2nd pic shows progress so far ... I can't help feeling the primer grey floor looks too clean, so i'm thinking about how to dirty it up a bit ...

Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52215

"Metal" and "plastic" loose bits finished ... the self adhesive rubber sheet I wanted for the top of the tool cabinet & battery display unit failed to arrive, so I used carbon fibre effect vinyl instead ...

"Wood" bits also done, I seem to have lost a reel somewhere, but the holder looks full enough :)

Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52219

Lots of congrats Jonny. I will make a diorama like yours a day. They are so realistics.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52231

Masked up the ofice architrave, carpet, bottom stairsroller doors & edges prior to giving the floor a little satin black in lieu of dirt, then removed the masking so I could do a bit of blending. Light sanding with a couple of different grades of wet & dry to add a bit of variation.

Lights are installed and wired in .. I don't recall deliberatly choosing a bright white LED for one of the lead lamps, but let's pretend I did & say it's for variety :whistle:

There's a bit of space under the stairs I didn't really notice before, and space on the left wall in the office section for another poster so I can't say this is complete forever, but I plan to just install the box in the shelving unit, place all the bits I've made, and call it done :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: oldwilly

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52232

OMG! That is crazy Jonny.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 5 months ago #52234

Fantastic, Jonny! :y: :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.