Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6272

Well that didn't work, and now they're full of water :cry:

To add insult to injury, the clear I put over the "aluminum" I used on the filler cap doodads melted the paint & now they look like they've been painted by a toddler :(

Man, that's some bad luck. Any way to restore it all without too much trouble? :(

TBH the quickest/easiest way is going to be to use graffiti remover ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6274

Big bummer. Heard on the weather forecast that the coming week will either be really cold or very rainy. :sick:
So no chance of painting on this degree of latitude (and longitude) in the close future.

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6356

My new supply of styrene sheet arrived, so I had another crack at the radiators...

I didn't even think about using countersink screws this time...

Nearly there - just another two to do, a load of filling & sanding, priming & painting, assembly, wiring, heatshrinking....
Attachments:

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6409

Quick update ...

Some of the things what I primed the other day:

TIG welders are done - mk2 gets M2 studding for the pipes (which are silicone sleeving, so hopefully they'll "flop" more convincingly) to connect to, and M2 cap head screws for the dials:

... the other foot pedal was drying at the time of the photo - I'd managed to miss the entire back :whistle:

Fuel cells and their filler plates are all stripped/sanded - the other 4 cells have already been primed & have just had red oxide sprayed on ...

The fan holders for the other two rads are done, they're now in the shed waiting for the grey plastic primer to dry ...

Attachments:

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6410

In between all that I got a little bored, so made some 1/10th scale pallets - at 110mm by 80mm they're not quite Euro standard, but the 11cm width made more sense in terms of most effecient use of the A4-ish size sheets of styrene I had; 2 sheets of 1.5mm and 1 sheet of 3mm made 10 pallets ...

I started with the 3mm sheet, cut it into 14mm wide strips, sanded & glued 3 together, then chopped up the resulting 9mm ply into 10mm pieces (6 needed per pallet) and 14mm pieces (3 needed per pallet).

The 1.5mm sheets got sliced into 10mm and 14mm wide strips, the 10mm strip got cut down to 110mm lengths (4 needed per pallets), and the 14mm strips into 110mm lengths (4 per pallet), and 80mm lengths (3 per pallet).

This gave a pile of parts like this:

I glued together starting at the bottom - two 10mm x 110mm strips and one 14mm x 110mm strip ...

... get the six 10mm and three 14mm spacers glued on:

Next, the three 14mm x 80mm planks get glued on:

... then the wide (14mm x 100mm) top boards:

Then the narrow (10mm x 110mm) top boards:

Finally, I painted them in XF-14 J.A. Grey - which isn't grey at all, but green, which explains why I hadn't wanted to use it on anything else ... a bit of dry brushing (XF-68 in one direction, then XF-57 Buff the other way), then a final light wash with heavily watered down XF-1 Flat Black.

I just have to work out how to do scale Gordian (plastic banding) now :D

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6463

Did some assembly on the fuel cells ...

All the bits:

Hycote Ford "Machine Silver" on the filler necks - I guess it didn't like the cold so much :whistle:

six are finished, two need to go back through sanding & painting _again_ as some of the joints had failed in the freezing temperatures overnight ...

Attachments:

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6468

Totally awesome. Fuel cells look amazing... :woohoo:

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6493

Final assembly for the radiators:

All the bits:

Fans fitted on #1 spacer:

... and the spacer to rad #1:

... all good so far, but the back just doesn't line up any more :) cry:

... and the fans started cracking too :cry:

I abandoned that & started on #2 ... drilled out the fan holes to 3.5mm ... but the alignment on this was worse than on #1 :S

and the fans still cracked:

Started on #3, alignment was even worse :ohmy:

I think I have to conclude that getting things to work at this sort of size is beyond my skills :(

I've ordered some more screws & will try rebuilding these without any fans.

Can I get an "epic fail!" ?

Thank you Homer :whistle:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6494

On the plus side, the fuel cells are all finished, as are the oxyacetylene & TIG kits, and even the two cooolers that've be hanging around for months :)

Attachments:

Re: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #6495

Your post looked very promising at the start. Love the hex nuts. But what adversity... :S :cry:
The fuell cells look awesome though!

Last edit: by Edou.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.