Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7239

Well, what can I say. I find myself with another project Pajero. It seems to be in worse shape than I imagined, But that is just a challenge I'm prepared to defeat.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7240

The idea behind this is awesome, but just badly finished off. The rear floor is from a Tamiya F350, and as you can see, the Pajero body is cut and shortened into a pick-up.

The chassis is not in bad condition, but I will be tearing it down, cleaning, and rebuilding it before using it. The diffs are already locked, but there seems to be a bit of play in the drivetrain.

I have already torn the body apart, and have submersed it in brake fluid to remove that horrible "Monster energy" meets "Shrek" color from the poor Tamiya ABS body.

More soon...

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7245

Isn't the brake fluid gonna "melt down" your body??

Cheers, Bram

Ps. looking forward to rest of the build :woohoo:
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7355

Hey sorry for the long wait. To answer your question Bram, No, Brake fluid is safe for ABS Tamiya bodies. I use brake fluid all the time to remove old paint off bodies. I've every used it on Lexan bodies too.

I'll post pics later, I don't know what paint the previous owner used, but it has about 7 layers ranging from Blue to black to green...

More progress soon.

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7360

Tnx mate! i need to do a lexan body, i before always used some kinda paint remover paste, but this time it doesn't seem to work :(
Any usefull tips on the brakefluid remover or just soak the body with it :lol:
Do you use a special brand or is any dot-4 good?

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7361

Tnx mate! i need to do a lexan body, i before always used some kinda paint remover paste, but this time it doesn't seem to work :(
Any usefull tips on the brakefluid remover or just soak the body with it :lol:
Do you use a special brand or is any dot-4 good?

Cheers, Bram

Whoa there! Don't use brake fluid on a lexan shell - at best it will make it so brittle that it will break if someone so much as farts in its general direction, at worst it will make it go cloudy and/or melt it.

The generally accepted best stuff to get paint of lexan shells is Nitro fuel :)

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7367

Tnx! That saves another body from melting down :laugh:
Lucky for me i drive 5 nitro's myself, so enough fuel around in my shed :woohoo:

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7374

@ Louisbaby - that is some nasty looking paint & bodywork there ... have you reported the previous owner to the Tamiya Police so they can go round & confiscate his tools ? ;)

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7376

@ Louisbaby - that is some nasty looking paint & bodywork there ... have you reported the previous owner to the Tamiya Police so they can go round & confiscate his tools ? ;)

Hahahaha, no, I think the poor guy didn't have a clue, or didn't care. :dry:

Back to the brake fluid on Lexan - I have soaked a Tamiya Landcruiser body in Brake fluid for about an hour at a time without any cloudiness or brittleness. I then resprayed the body on the outside, because I didn't have the window decals, and it came out great. But Bram, I can't promise anything. Maybe I was just lucky :woohoo:

Re: Tamiya CC-01 Pajero rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #7377

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.