Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1921

Bottom pic look really good.
Are you planning adding several coats of clear?

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1924

Bottom pic look really good.
Are you planning adding several coats of clear?

-Lars

I'm not planning on putting any more on - it's had two really heavy coats, enough for all the the bits to join up & become self levelling - just a gnat's whisker away from running ... so it's got a total of 8 coats of various paints on it now, that ought to be enough :)

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1938

Still waiting for the gearbox bearing holders & servo cover ... I've built as much as I can without them though ... no pics as I'm sure you know what 1/2 a MB chassis looks like ;)

I've also been doing a bit of Work on my Bigwig ... time for a new thread :)

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1949

Bearing holders arrived today, so finished the chassis, also fitted the electronics as I decided I didn't want to put the ESC or the RX under the servo cover (which I'm still waiting on).

I know socket cap head set screws are technically wrong - but I do think they look good - especially the M4 ones :)

Also started work on the detail painting... overall I find it very hard work doing the details (dyslexia, dysphraxia, limited wrist movement due to breaks & RSI, short fingers, Dupuytren's contracture, being impatient, etc, etc), I think bodywork is still my favourite bit - any eejit can use a screwdriver & a box wrench ;)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: forgot the photos! doh!

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1951

Looking good to me, wish I owned that beetle...

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1965

Did a bit more detail painting, did a bit of assembly on the shell & did a test fit ... I notice that with the way the bumper, lightbar & nosecone line up, even a slight knock will smack the bumper into the lights & snap off the lugs on the stock nosecone ... less of a worry for me, using a blitzer beetle nose & homemade ligh bracket - but it still seems like a serious design flaw ... I guess that's why so many Monster Beetles have a broken nose/missing lightbar :(

Attachments:

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1968

Jonny,

That colour looks good no mater what body you seam to attach it to, will it be staying decal free or Box-art decals?
Keep it going, loving this alot :woohoo:

GING

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1976

Jonny,

That colour looks good no mater what body you seam to attach it to, will it be staying decal free or Box-art decals?
Keep it going, loving this alot :woohoo:

GING

I'll be going pretty much full box art decals on this one - I bought a set of repro decals before I'd even bought the car, after seeing the prices genuine NIP Monster Beetle decal sets are up at on ebay (& what some have gone for), I'll be saving the genuine ones :)

re the colour, the Citroen "Wicked Red" I used on this looks spookily similar to the Ford "Pepper Red" I have on my 1:1 car, the MG "Nightfire Red" I used on my Sand Rover, _and_ the Daewoo "Ruby Red" I used on my Scorcher ... I'm beginning to think my research & using "different" colours was a bit pointless :blink:

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #1998

Pretty much there now ...

Just to prove I do it wet :D :

Check out Albert's purple helmet :D :

... that bumper has got to go :blink:
Attachments:

Re: Monster Beetle rebuild & repaint 12 years 9 months ago #2008

one word for this FANTASTIC

I love the bodyshell its a class paint job B)

Last edit: by tamiya nut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.