Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clod alloy wheels 10 years 10 months ago #22867

Picked these up on eBay for 20 GBP, posted :blink: They're considerably dirtier & less shiny than they look in the photos & have the odd bit of damage to the rims, but still a bit of a steal I reckon.

Location on the hubs is by five M4 screws ... this struck me as a bit ghetto, and I suspect put other potential buyers off, meaning they didn't sell for more (or sooner) ... M2.5 screws & machined tubes would have been better IMO - but these were clearly done as a one-off (or four, if you're being pedantic ;) ), and as a prototype, they've been done very well - a quick test fit shows they've been placed very accurately.

I'll clean & polish these up at some point, and find some shorter/better quality screws.

I also need to pull my finger out with my vintage Clod project - 18 months in & only have an incomplete decal sheet & these wheels :whistle:

:)

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clod alloy wheels 10 years 10 months ago #22868

:silly: fun wheels JR :y:

Clod alloy wheels 10 years 10 months ago #22954

I've given the wheels a quick scrub & a polish (Autosol with a felt doodad in the Dremel), fitted shorter M3 screws & popped them on my Superclod for the time being ... TBH unless you looked really closely I don't think you'd notice the difference bewteen them & the chromed plastic originals :whistle:

Attachments:

Clod alloy wheels 10 years 10 months ago #22963

WOW!
thats a deal, thats a steal, thats the bargain of the centurary!

I went to two local machine shops to enquire haveing some wheels made for my Supershot and Bigwig and the both quoted AUD$200 - each!

Reason was the size, they would machine them down from solid bar and so the time and a lot of wastage. I then thought about them being made in two parts, machined tubed for the wheel part and then flat plate for the center part and bolted together. I didn't pursue that.

Maybe these came from some one who 'gained' some suitable material and had their own equipment (or a homer at work)

good find!

Hay Ewe

Clod alloy wheels 10 years 10 months ago #22967

WOW!
thats a deal, thats a steal, thats the bargain of the centurary!

I went to two local machine shops to enquire haveing some wheels made for my Supershot and Bigwig and the both quoted AUD$200 - each!

Reason was the size, they would machine them down from solid bar and so the time and a lot of wastage. I then thought about them being made in two parts, machined tubed for the wheel part and then flat plate for the center part and bolted together. I didn't pursue that.

Maybe these came from some one who 'gained' some suitable material and had their own equipment (or a homer at work)

good find!

Hay Ewe

They were listed with "alloy wheels that I made when I worked in an engineering factory" as part of the description :)

I was curious about the material costs though, I found that the smallest, cheapest bits available (not buying in bulk anyway) that would do the job were 52 GBP for all 4, but given the difference between what the raw material woud weigh & what the final wheels do, there would be about 42 GBPs worth of swarf :blink:

re your expensive wheels, I'd imagine most of that would be the time they'd take on a lathe, but still, it does sound expensive; I guess they didn't particularly want to do it :(

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds